Photo credit to Laura Chouette via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
The role of social media influencers in the world of marketing continues to grow.
The Rise of Social Media Influencers in Marketing
Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Recently social media influencers have emerged into the marketing world. With large followings many social media influencers have found a way...

Photo credit to Anthony Delanoix via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
In an era succeeding a global pandemic, how have festivals and concerts adjusted?
Exploring Music Festivals In A Post-Pandemic Era
Skylar Siems, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, musical festivals have undergone significant changes. Understandably, the pandemic has impacted nearly...

Photo credit to 
Rivage via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
There has been a recent surge in the popularity of retro gaming consoles.
The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games In 1952, Cambridge professor Sandy Douglas released...

Photo credit to Sandro Schuh via Unsplash under Unsplash License. 
The mental health of athletes is a subject commonly overlooked.
Unveiling the Relationship Between Mental Health and Sports
Addison O, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Athletes confront a myriad of mental health challenges, ranging from anxiety and depression to eating disorders and substance abuse, largely...

Kansas City Superbowl Parade Shooting

Photo credit to Brock Wegner via Unsplash under Unsplash License On February 15th, 2024, a shooting occurred in downtown Kansas City.

After the Kansas City Chiefs won the 2024 Super Bowl, the traditional parade and rally was held on February 15. What was meant to be a celebratory occasion for fans and players ended with casualties and injuries throughout the streets. 

SHOOTING

Photo credit to royharryman via Pixabay under Pixabay License Union Station Kansas City, nearby where the shooting took place.

As Chiefs fans were leaving the parade, a shooting took place outside near the garage of the Union Station. One person was killed and 22 were injured, 8 of which were children with gunshot wounds. People quickly rushed out of the area so the victims could get proper medical aid and prevent further casualties. Three people were detained immediately following the shooting and one firearm was recovered. Later that night, it was confirmed that Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a DJ in the Kansas City area, had been killed.

AFTERMATH

In a statement following the shooting, the Chiefs said, “We are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside of Union Station at the conclusion of today’s parade and rally. Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all of Kansas City.” Many players on the team, notably Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, also expressed their condolences for the victims on social media. 

As of February 16, two juveniles were charged for the shooting. They are currently being held in a juvenile delinquent center with resisting arrest and gun-related charges. Additional charges are expected as the investigation continues by both federal and local law enforcement.

This incident has resulted in many people voicing their concerns about gun-related laws. Tension about the matter has increased as more shootings like the KC parade have been happening in the United States. President Biden has used this shooting and others to urge Congress for stricter gun laws. Subsequent to the parade shooting, Biden stated, “Today’s events should move us, shock us, shame us into acting.”