MIA Committed - Alex Sousa
MIA Committed - Alex Sousa
April 29, 2024

Rays Praise
Ray's Praise
April 29, 2024

What is Ray’s Praise? Ray’s Praise is an opportunity for students at MIA to show their appreciation for others. Whether it’s a classmate,...

April 29, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Monday, April 29th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Caitlin Clark: The Up and Coming Basketball Star

johnmac
Photo credit to John Mac via Wikipedia Commons under Wikipedia Commons License. Iowa Women’s Basketball champion Caitlin Clark is an upcoming name in the industry.

On Sunday, April 7th, the University of Iowa’s women’s basketball team suffered a 75-87 loss in the NCAA Championship against the Gamecocks of South Carolina. This significant game marked the conclusion of college basketball star and senior, Caitlin Clark’s career. Clark, who plays as point guard for the Hawkeyes, has emerged as one of the greatest women’s basketball players of all time. Throughout her college journey, Clark has garnered increasing attention for women’s basketball, with her games attracting record numbers of viewers for the sport.

Caitlin Clark’s basketball journey commenced at a young age, competing in boys’ leagues in her hometown of West Des Moines due to the absence of girls’ leagues. As she progressed through middle school, her talent became evident, leading to her receiving her first letter of interest following her sixth-grade year. Throughout her high school seasons, Clark not only set state records but also national ones. In 2019, she announced her commitment to the University of Iowa.

During her college basketball career, Caitlin Clark distinguished herself as a top scorer, surpassing multiple previous players in various categories, including Stephen Curry, for the most 3-pointers in a single season as a Division 1 player.

Following the recent NCAA Championship loss, as reported by Fox News, Caitlin Clark expressed mixed emotions, stating, “Yeah, I’m sad we lost this game, but I’m also so proud of myself, I’m so proud of my teammates, I’m so proud of this program. There’s a lot to be proud of.” Clark is projected to be drafted by the Indiana Fever, marking the beginning of her professional career in the 2024 WNBA season.