MIA Committed - Alex Sousa
MIA Committed - Alex Sousa
April 29, 2024

Rays Praise
Ray's Praise
April 29, 2024

What is Ray’s Praise? Ray’s Praise is an opportunity for students at MIA to show their appreciation for others. Whether it’s a classmate,...

April 29, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Monday, April 29th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Supreme Court vs Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine

The Battle Against Abortion Continues
Prescription drugs used in abortion treatments are now under the eyes of the Supreme Court.
Elle Richardson

Abortion is a hot topic in politics. With the repeal of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many methods of abortion have become banned or heavily regulated. One of the most common prescription drugs used to terminate an early pregnancy is called mifepristone. Currently, the Supreme Court is faced with deciding whether mifepristone should keep its FDA approval in the FDA vs Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine case.

Mifepristone has been on the medical scene since the 1980s after French researchers developed it. It was originally banned in the United States before being approved in 2000 by the FDA. Mifepristone works as a progesterone blocker. Progesterone is a hormone that thickens the uterine lining, allowing a fertilized egg to more successfully implant. By blocking the production of this hormone, the uterine cannot properly hold the egg, resulting in a loss of pregnancy. This method successfully works within the first ten weeks of pregnancy and can also be used after a miscarriage to help the patient shed their uterine lining.

According to NPR, about 63% or more of abortions were conducted medicinally in 2023. With Mifepristone being one of the most popular termination medications, it is a very prevalent method of abortion in the US.

Misoprostol is the sister drug of mifepristone and is an anti-inflammatory used to help make the process safer and easier. These two medications together allow for a controlled and medically induced miscarriage. Without it, there is a higher risk of extreme bleeding due to just Mifepristone alone. This is a rare side effect that has been made even more rare by the use of Misoprostol.

According to a KFF poll, three in every ten voters would vote exclusively for a candidate sharing their same stance on abortion. America is incredibly divided on the topic of abortion, and with the importance of the issue to many people, it is unlikely that any bipartisan agreement about abortion will come any time soon. Many Democrats argue that abortion should be legal based on the 5th, 9th, and 14th Amendments, while Republicans fight for the rights of the fetus as another life.

The case officially went to the Supreme Court on March 26th. While no official decision is currently known, the FDA is predicted to win this case due to the results of lower courts along with the original decision in 2000 initially to not approve the drug. The ruling is expected to come out sometime in May.

With the election taking place in November 2024, the ruling could have a major impact on the results of the election. With Joe Biden, Donald Trump, and Robert F. Kennedy expected to be the major candidates, two-thirds of the major candidates are on the pro-choice side of the abortion debate. 

While Biden and Kennedy share the same side of the argument, several anti-choice acts have gone into effect during the Biden Administration, including the repeal of Roe v. Wade. This case’s decision is likely a very important one for President Biden in the 2024 election. Former President Trump has openly shared pro-life views in the past but has recently stated that he would support the same 15-week abortion ban that both other major candidates are supporting.

While there is still no indication of how this case may go or when it will end, it is likely that with the recent decisions of the Supreme Court the medication will no longer be approved. With the election coming up, there will probably be a change in abortion laws, the direction just depends on who wins. While this case has been going on, some states, including Florida, have decided to add the legality of abortion in the state to the 2024 ballot. The final decision will ultimately come down to this election.