Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Recent Tornadoes in Ohio Kill Three

Photo credit to 51581 via Pixabay under Pixabay License. Recent tornados across the Midwest have claimed the lives of several.

Last Thursday night, at least three people were killed as destructive storms and tornadoes ripped through Indiana and Ohio, demolishing portions of communities and igniting search and rescue operations.

According to Dodds, an EF3 tornado struck Logan County, killing three people. It was one of almost fifty tornadoes that struck six states, including an EF3 in Winchester, Indiana, that caused numerous homes to be demolished or severely damaged.

A facility representative shared that about 19 patients received treatment on Thursday night at the Mary Rutan Health Center in Logan County for weather-related injuries. The county emergency management organization said that “a significant amount of damage” was sustained by parts of Logan County, with Russells Point, Lakeview, and Indian Lake taking the brunt of the impact. 

Reporters mentioned that in order to enter some of the storm-damaged homes, heavy lifting equipment is required. In order to make sure no one is trapped, he continued, deputies will scour the area with dogs once more after certain spots had been searched twice.

The National Weather Service concluded on Friday afternoon that Logan County was devastated by “at least” a “high-end” EF-2 tornado. According to the weather service, EF-1 tornadoes made landfall in Licking and western Mercer counties.

Donate Jones, a meteorologist with Fox 8, has lived and worked in areas of Ohio where tornado outbreaks have happened, the most recent being the events on March 14th. Jones stated, “I believe there is ample evidence to suggest that tornado alley is moving eastward or at the very least expanding eastward.”

On Tuesday, March 26, six FEMA teams will evaluate and examine the damage in all 11 counties. The evaluations are intended to determine the kind and degree of damage caused by the disaster to the affected structures and to determine whether federal resources are required.

Ohio governor Mike Dewine publicly announced a message in support of the restorative efforts. 

“Ohioans are resilient. When I toured the damage at Indian Lake, I heard over and over again from the residents I talked to about their resolve to rebuild. Having FEMA assess the damage is the next step in helping the affected communities recover.”