Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

What You Wish They Taught: Applying for a Job

Everyone struggles with growing up, but some everyday tasks are harder than others.
Elle Richardson

Working as a high school student is highly common. Whether you are saving for college, a car, or a little spending money on the side, a job is the way to go. Problem is, getting a job in a place as competitive as the Marco/Naples area isn’t always that easy. One of the most important aspects is where and when you apply. During ‘season’ (Mid-November to February), places on the island are needing workers more than ever before, especially in the hospitality and restaurant industries.

Make sure you have an expansive yet honest availability when applying. In order to work, you will have to sacrifice some free time. This being said, don’t tell them you are available during times when you clearly cannot, such as during the school day.

Overall, it is important to keep your application honest and open. While you do want to get paid, it is important to not overcommit yourself. Jobs can be a struggle to balance, but keeping your personal financial situation and social life in mind can help mediate this.