Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Defending a Center

The Persistence of Sailors
Elle Richardson
The Marco Island Community Sailing Center has had its fair share of difficulty.

Marco Island is a tropical paradise with heavy maritime influence. All over the island, there are marinas, docks, and most importantly, boats. Boating is an important part in the lives of many islanders, including teens. It is a common hobby for many, yet there is a niche element of boating often overlooked by the modern day teenager: sailing.

On Marco, there is a team of seven sailors ranging from age 11 to 17. This team sails out of the Marco Island Community Sailing Center, where all of them grew through the program. The program also boasts summer sessions where over 100 beginner and intermediate sailors attend camps to develop their skills in the wavering sport.

The success of this sailing program can be attributed to one man: Rocky Cale. Cale has been a sailor for over 60 years and has run the program since its official formation. Now over 20 years old, the center and Rocky alike have faced their fair share of aversion.

The center is located on the west side of the S.S. Jolley Bridge directly next to the Marco Island Yacht Club. The plot of land it is situated on has always been problematic. The center leased this plot from the city, which leased it from the state. Once the city’s lease expired, the state decided they wanted to remove the sailing center, dredge the beach, and pave the powdered white sands over with an asphalt parking lot.

Not only would this hurt the center, but the local ecosystem would be destroyed. Sailors and environmentalists alike bonded together in protest over this decision. Finally, the city decided to re-lease the plot to protect the local mangroves and the center. After this was settled, the sailors breathed a sigh of relief thinking the fighting was over, totally oblivious that the worst challenge to the center was yet to come.

The city had reclaimed the land under the center and despite leasing it to them again, decided that they would follow through on the state’s plan. Once again, this decision was met with protest but to no avail. The city started taking action against the sailors to move the project along faster. 

In 2018, Cale and other members of the center attempted to repair parts of the center that had been damaged by a recent storm only to find they had been locked out. Confused by this sudden chain of events and still possessing the lease on the center, the group decided to continue with the repairs. This included clearing overgrown weeds and litter strewn across the center.

As a response to this, the Marco Island City Council charged Cale for removing the weeds and arrested him; yet made no effort to prosecute any of the other members involved. Outcries and protests from sailors, attorneys, and community members alike all tried to free Cale.

Eventually, a court hearing was held. The city’s attempt to persecute Cale backfired and it was revealed that the city was abusing its power. Not only were they forced to expunge Cale’s record and release him, the land was sold to the sailing center’s parent organization, the Marco Island Yacht Club, to prevent any further problems.

The city faced media backlash and resentment from the community over this for years. Many citizens on the island have had a child or grandchild participate in the sailing program or have been helped by Cale’s generous actions. Described as the ‘perfect neighbor’, many were appalled at the city’s choice of persecuting such an upstanding citizen. To make amends, the city named Rocky Cale the Citizen of the Year in 2022. Rocky graciously accepted the award before leaving to work on the sailboats. Finally, the debacle with the city was over.

Yet all these problems haven’t stopped the resilient sailors and Cale from setting sail every Saturday and during summer weekdays. Driving over the bridge gives islanders the joyous sight of multicolored sails gracefully gliding over the water below. Time has proven that the center’s resilience is strong in the face of adversity. In the wise words of Rocky Cale, “You can’t change the wind, but you can adjust your sails.”