Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 04/26/24
April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

A Trifecta of Problems

Florida politicians are allegedly caught up in a scandal.
Logan Yarnell

Last week, a sexual assault allegation was made against two very prominent Floridians.

Christian Ziegler, a Florida Republican chairman, and his wife, Sarasota school board member and Moms for Liberty co-founder Bridget Ziegler, are under heavy fire. Reports of rape and a closed triad love affair have been made with a woman despite preaching against LGBTQ+ viewpoints in their book-banning support.

Moms for Liberty is a group that works to limit the amount of LGBTQ+ and minority representation in books allowed in public education. It was founded by three Florida women in January 2021 and is marked by their overall suspicion of the public education system. Their goals range from removing the critical race theory from schools to why alternative discipline methods are to blame for school shootings. 

The highly conservative members have trademarked themselves as opponents of an inclusive educational system, yet the recent case has flipped the organization on its head. This is because the alleged actions of the Zieglers go directly against the founding ideals of Moms for Liberty, such as anti-LGBTQ+ and discriminatory views, and are a disgrace to Florida’s GOP. 

To be members of organizations so against LGBTQ+ representation and then allegedly engage in said relations nonconsensually or consensually shows complete and total disregard for the ideals they represent and the people they are supposed to lead. Moms for Liberty is supposed to be a role model organization for children in schools. Moreover, the hypocrisy of the co-founder by allegedly committing a sexual act such as this her own organization advocated against students being educated about cripples the message of the organization and belittles the causes they advocate for.

Schools are diverse places with LGBTQ+ and minorities, meaning that they should be represented in books and other sources of media found in schools. To be banned for a more ‘traditional’ mindset in schools by the very people possibly involved in a threesome and a subsequent alleged rape by the husband seems more than a bit hypocritical. If these allegations are proven true, it would be a complete embarrassment for the organization and the Zieglers.