Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 04/26/24
April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Ray’s Recipes: Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Holiday Edition
Helena Davis
Chocolate chip cookies are a necessity during the holiday season.

Happy December! With Christmas fast approaching, it’s time to crack out those generations-old family cookie recipes and start baking. What better way to kick off the holiday cookie chaos than with a classic chocolate chip cookie that everyone, including Santa, will love? 

Though a simple recipe and relatively easy preparation process, this treat will blow the minds of your critics, holiday season or not. Disclaimer: these brown butter chocolate chip cookies might have Grandma’s recipe beat. 

So, turn on your favorite Christmas music, grab a family member or friend, and get baking.

You will need the following ingredients:

½ cup unsalted butter

½ cup brown sugar (packed)

¼ cup sugar (cane or granulated)

1 egg

2 tsp of vanilla extract

1 ¼ cup flour

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

½ dark chocolate bar, chopped (Ghirardelli 60% cacao)

½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)

Optional, but not really: flaky salt for garnishing (I use Maldon)

All of the necessary ingredients to craft world’s best cookies. (Helena Davis)
  1. The first and most crucial step is to brown your butter. This is what gives the cookies a delicious caramel-like taste. Heat a medium-sized saucepan. Cut the butter into cubes and toss them into the pan. On medium-high heat, allow your butter to melt, bubble, and foam, stirring occasionally. When the butter becomes an amber color and bits of butter caramelize at the bottom of the pan, take it off the heat. Pour it into a bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes.
  2. Once the brown butter has cooled, whisk it together with both of the sugars until smooth.
  3. Crack in your egg, and vanilla, and whisk once again.
  4. Fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt using a rubber spatula until fully combined.

Step 4 is shown above, combining the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. (Helena Davis)
  5. Lastly, combine your chopped dark chocolate and semi-sweet chips into the dough. These should always be measured with the heart, however, the amount I tend to use is stated in the ingredient list.
    The two types of chocolates used are shown. I ended up adding even more after this. (Helena Davis)

Step 5 is shown, carefully mixing in the chopped chocolate and semi-sweet chips. (Helena Davis)
  6. I know that waiting is not something most like to do when dealing with cookies, but the dough must chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking. This allows the flavors to develop, and to ensure your cookies are the perfect consistency. Plus, this is the perfect time to have a Christmas music dance party while you wait.

The image shows the huge difference that chilling the dough makes. (Helena Davis)
  7. Now it is time to scoop your cookies and place them on a tray. You should be able to form at least 12 smallish-sized cookies. Tip: if you have a big family, or have visitors for the holidays, be sure to double up the recipe. Trust me when I say these will be gone in minutes.

I was able to fit 14 cookies on the pan without any overlapping. (Helena Davis)
  8. Bake at 350℉ for 8-10 minutes. Your cookies should be set on the edges but have a gooey inside when you take them out.
  9. Immediately after taking your cookies out of the oven, use an downturned large glass to swirl around the cookies to achieve the perfect circle shape. Sprinkle with flaky salt and now you’re the new favorite family member.

Fresh out of the oven, the cookies already impress with a delicious scent permeating the room. (Helena Davis)

To prove just how great these cookies are, I brought about two dozen of them into my Journalism class, and they were gone within minutes. Some students even requested seconds because one just wasn’t enough. I received many compliments, many commented on the flaky salt on top and how much they loved the sweet and salty combination.

As I made these cookies last night, my parents stayed in close vicinity to the kitchen, incessantly questioning when the cookies would be ready. I allowed them to sample a cookie or three and my mom went as far as to say that they were the best cookies she’d ever had. My cat, Millie, was also intrigued. These cookies are no joke; a foolproof way to impress any crowd.

Millie took a break from terrorizing the Christmas tree to look at the cookies. (Helena Davis)
View Comments (2)
$495
$1200