Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 04/26/24
April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Maui’s Burning Issue

Maui is being decimated by ravenous wildfires that are causing concern for citizens all over Hawaii.
Logan Yarnell

The devastating fires have created a muddle of the Hawaiian Islands. These wildfires have burnt thousands of acres of this beautiful, tropical paradise. Emergency action had to take place, causing thousands of people to leave the island or find shelter.

Affected Area

The area most affected by the fires was Lahaina, the most-visited spot on Maui. The wildfires left 85% of the town in shambles. Thankfully, almost 90% of the wildfires in Lahaina are now contained. 2,200 structures in Lahaina and Kula, a neighboring community, were destroyed, including many historical monuments and buildings.

Photo via Unsplash under Unsplash License
Firefighters in Maui are working tirelessly to quench the flames.

Cause

The fires started on August 8th. The earliest report of a fire was on Olinda Road, but it rapidly spread to other areas. It is suspected the cause was the unusually dry weather and winds from the brewing hurricane offshore. These winds knocked down Hawaii Electric’s live power lines, which has received a lawsuit. The lawsuit states that despite the circumstances, the company carelessly did not turn off power, which would have prevented the fires in the first place. The conifer, an invasive plant, only made matters worse. These highly flammable plants assisted in fueling the deadly fires.

Casualties

During the entirety of the wildfires, more than 1,000 people were unaccounted for, but the latest reports from Hawaii officials say that 388 people are still reported missing. The confirmed death toll has risen to 115.

Help

The Maui wildfire is the deadliest American wildfire in more than a century and people are doing whatever they can to help stop it. Many firefighters who lost their homes while actively working have been given the use of trailers while reconstructing their homes. Project:Camp is a camp that takes care of kids while the schools are closed. Thanks to volunteers, kids can play and eat, giving parents time to recover from the devastation. You can help by visiting redcross.org and donating to help Maui families rebuild their homes or by volunteering to directly help the efforts.