• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • 6 seconds ago

Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • 23 hours ago

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • 1 day ago

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

Addison O, Staff Writer • 2 days ago

Top 6 Fashion Trend Predictions For Prom 2024

With prom on the horizon, here are the top fashion predictions for this year. Photo credit to Todd Cravens via Unsplash under Unsplash License

Prom is just around the corner and everyone is wondering what trends to expect to see on the dance floor. So I’m here to tell you what dresses, shoes, and suits I am predicting to see at the dance. As a header to my following statements, these are all simply my predictions based on what I’ve seen trending so far in runway, Pinterest, and Instagram fashion this year. 

1. Strapless dresses

This year I predict strapless necklines being the most worn this upcoming prom season. The rise of this trend was already seen earlier this school year at Homecoming, so there’s no reason for its rapid growth in popularity to slow now. Off the shoulder gowns also fit in this category as they give girls a way to balance the silhouette of the dress while highlighting the collarbone and the neck. Most everyone wants to stand out at prom so diverging from the traditional spaghetti strapped dresses to this should be expected, and will be seen at this year’s prom.

2. Classic black and white suits

If you were this as a man you are definitely in on the trend of going back to the classics. Though many critics see this style as basic, I see it as an easy formal outfit for men who may not want to express such an outlandish style. It has been done every year for centuries and will be done again this year at prom.

3. Pastel colors

This prom’s most popular dress colors will most definitely be pastels. Since prom traditionally happens in spring we it’s easy to predict this trend but this year I believe it will be even more elevated. Most girls are going for a softer, more elegant look while still staying in the realm of the ‘picnic dress’ trend that has been so popular. Though most girls may be trying to avoid the crazy floral patterns we can’t help but be attracted to the soft feminine look pastel dresses provide us. My current favorites for the pastel color pallet are sage green, light pink, and lilac purple. .

4. Beige suits 

Since the picnic dresses have been in style I predict seeing beige suits as the boys version of these style dresses. They go great with their dates pastel dress and will make any boy stylish in a casual nonchalant way. The beachy linen has been popular in all guys fashion for a while as I saw it peak in summer 2023. This leads me to believe that the trend will spike again as students use prom to pregame their upcoming summer. 

5. Satin dresses

Satin provides a sleek and classy silhouette while maintaining a comfort aspect like no other material. This is so important since prom is formal and girls want to stay classy. The smooth glistening look of these gowns can be very eye-catching yet while you’re wearing them it’s so very light. Obtaining this balance is difficult but highschool girls have caught on to the concept and are loving it. Resulting in its major peak in popularity as I’ve seen this spring. 

6. Ruffles

Once again back to the picnic dress theme… Though we may want to avoid the casual look of a floral picnic-y dress we can’t help but be attracted to the frill and light waves of extra fabric rippling down our dresses. It adds an edgy yet girly affect that makes you just want to spin out onto the dance floor. This year I predict this trend will give dates the cute feminine look to contrast from their date.