Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Home vs. Theater: The Big Screen Battle

The competition between at home viewing and in-theater viewing is growing more and more intense.
Elle Richardson

“I think we all have that special memory of seeing one of our favorite films in the theater. As exhibitors, we have the honor of assisting in the making of those memories. Everything from the picture to the sound, to the atmosphere has to be as the filmmaker intended. Sometimes, when we get it just right, it becomes something special.” says owner of Marco Movies, Drake Heroy. 

Going to the movie theaters isn’t just about seeing a certain movie, It is about the experience that comes with it. Most people would argue that it is easier to just wait for the movie they want to see to be released on a streaming platform; that way they can watch the movie from the comfort of their own home. Why spend the money when you could see it for free at home? Well, it is so much more than that.

Going to the movies is an experience in itself. It is a way to connect with friends and family, something to do on a late night, and a relatively inexpensive activity. Whether you are going on a date, hanging with friends, or spending quality time with your family, the movies always fit the occasion. Although you could watch it at home for free a few weeks later, going to the movie theater is almost like a break from reality. For three hours you only have to focus on what’s playing on the screen in front of you, nothing else. There is no option to pause, fast forward, or turn the movie off. In a good way, it almost forces you to relax for a few hours and enjoy the show with the people you are with. 

Some theaters combine the experience of eating at a restaurant with your movie, and serve food while you watch. A lot of the time, teens aren’t going out to fancy restaurants, let alone enjoying the fancy, expensive food options on the menu. Instead, a movie theater and restaurant combination gives them a fun activity to do late at night and a delicious dinner all in one. This also serves as a good first date idea. It makes it a bit less awkward, allows for a dinner together, and provides a chance to relate and connect over the movie. 

On the other hand, as fun as it is to go see a movie, it can get expensive and become a lot of work. Movie theaters have gotten increasingly expensive over the years, some even struggling to stay open. As a result of COVID-19, people had to make the switch from theaters to streaming sites. Even after theaters opened back up, many stayed at home due to the fact that everything is quickly put onto Hulu, Netflix, Prime video, and more. 

Some might rather wait an extra week or so to watch a movie than pay the high movie theater prices.Between getting ready, making time, driving to the theater, paying the entry fee and snacks, going to the movie theater can be stressful. When watching a movie from home you have more freedom and opportunity to do what you want. 

When it comes to experiencing cinema, everyone prefers something different, whether that’s watching a movie at home before bed or detaching from life for a bit. However, every day more and more people are switching to home movies for their comfort and practicality. So, given the growing competition between streaming platforms and theaters, many are left wondering how long there is until cinemas are completely replaced with the convenience of at home viewing, and the charm is lost.