Which Water Bottle Are You?
Which Water Bottle Are You?
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

What musical are you? Take this quiz to find out!
What Musical Are You?
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Season Are You?
Which Season Are You?
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Gemstone Are You?
Which Gemstone Are You?
Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 2/23/24
February 23, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, February 23rd, 2024,  and these are your morning announcements!...

Teacher Feature: Mr. Holt

Get+ready+with+us+as+we+introduce+our+newest+addition+to+the+MIA+faculty%3A+English+teacher+Mr.+Holt.+
Michael Martinez-Melara
Get ready with us as we introduce our newest addition to the MIA faculty: English teacher Mr. Holt.

Mr. Holt was born in southern New Jersey but moved to Florida when he was in the 3rd grade in 1980 and graduated from Barron Collier High School. He then attended UF for his undergraduate degree and went on to get his masters in English literature at FSU. After graduating, Mr. Holt gained 25 years of teaching experience from various high schools and colleges, including FSW, FGCU, Barron Collier High School, and Naples High School.

After a brief teaching hiatus, Mr. Holt received a call for a teaching position at Marco Island Academy this past December. The school already had his application, and in his own words, “I was interviewed 6 years ago, apparently they needed an English teacher and here I am. It’s nice that they sought me out and contacted me. It was a surprise, but it was a good surprise.” 

Mr. Holt says that he enjoys MIA because it is a small school and feels more intimate, allowing the students to be treated more like individuals. Mr. Holt loves to help educate the younger generation not only from an academic perspective, but with life lessons to help students succeed. Even as a teacher, Mr. Holt appreciates learning from younger generations.

“Well, I’m hoping to get myself a little bit more organized. It’s a bit rough coming in mid-school year, but I’ll get more comfortable here.”

Outside of school, Mr. Holt likes to play acoustic guitar, listen to music, watch sports (he is an avid Philadelphia fan for all non-college sports), and spend time with his eleven-year-old daughter. Mr. Holt has planned a course on how Bob Dylan’s music was influential when he was a TA at FSU and has gotten his captain license for his side job of taking private tours and sightseeing. He lives by one of Bob Dylan’s quotes, “Just keep on.”