Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

U.S News, one of the largest education ranking sites, has been the subject of recent controversy concerning the reliability of their rankings.
U.S. News’s High School Ranking Methods Spark Controversy
Helena Davis, Grant Tirrell, and Annabelle FrazerMay 8, 2024

Though the 2024 senior class of Marco Island Academy eagerly awaits their eminent graduation date, bound to go their separate ways to begin the...

Recently many media platforms have been promoting diversity amongst new programs worldwide. Photo credits to Christina @ wocintechchat.com via  Unsplash under the Unsplash license.
The Impact of Diversity in Media
Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024

It can be a wonderful feeling when one sees pieces of themselves in a character on screen. Based on the personality, origin, and characteristics...

MIA Committed - Daniel Heekin
MIA Committed - Daniel Heekin
May 8, 2024

A recent school shooting in Texas, making many wonder if the Tennessee Bill is a good idea. Photo credits to (Augustin-Foto) Jonas Augustin via Unsplash under the Unsplash license.
The Critical Debate On Gun Violence In The United States
Skylar Siems, Associate Editor • May 8, 2024

Recently, the United States has been faced with a recurring issue involving educators and students nationwide. With approximately 18 school shootings...

The Ins and outs of 2024- Tv Shows

As+2023+comes+to+a+close%2C+new+TV+shows+leap+into+the+new+year+of+2024.+These+are+the+Ins+and+Out+of+the+new+shows.%0APhoto+credit+to+Erik+Mclean+via+Unsplash+under+Unsplash+License+
As 2023 comes to a close, new TV shows leap into the new year of 2024. These are the In’s and Out of the new shows. Photo credit to Erik Mclean via Unsplash under Unsplash License

With being a month into 2024, it’s time to compare what shows and genres are trending worldwide. According to Flixpatrol.com, the 5 most popular shows in 2023 were The Last of Us, Citadel, Gen V, Shrinking, and The Continental: From The World Of John Wick. The top 5 consist of many different genres including action, fantasy, science fiction, etc.

With that being said, no singular genre is ranking higher than the rest. It comes as no surprise that The Last of Us ranks first globally in 2023. The show was created to retell the story of the popular video game: The Last of Us, which was released in 2013 and quickly became one of Playstation’s most popular titles.

Citadel is a Prime Video original spy show, and with some mediocre ratings and a $300 million budget, it ranked number 2 in 2023. Even with a 51% on Rotten Tomatoes, Citadel’s was able to secure a renewal for season two.

Gen V is a spin-off show of the superhero show, The Boys, which is a highly popular show with 3 seasons. Gen V is a stand-alone show but still ties in with The Boys plot. Fans agree that the show is an amazing adaptation of poorly rated comic books. 

Shrinking is a new comedy-drama by Apple TV original with a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. The series has been renewed for a second season with a planned total of three. Shrinking has great potential to be a staple for Apple TV.

The Continental is a Peacock original that explores the origin of the Continental Hotel in the John Wick series. Season two has not yet been announced but is expected. The show has a 63% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes but with fans, a 78%. The show is truly a gift to long-time fans who wish to see the John Wick franchise expand.

Now in the second week of 2024, the 5 most popular shows are Game of Thrones, The Lord of Rings: Rings of Power, Reacher, Yellowstone, and The Boys. In contrast to The Last of Us show Game of Thrones came in first place in 2024. The Game of Thrones franchise has multiple new projects that were announced and some that are already in development. These new shows are both live-action and animated. They are revealed to be continuations of the original story, spin-offs for existing characters, and spin-offs for new characters.

Game of Thrones was a widely popular series that ended in 2019. The main reason for the show’s resurgence is in anticipation of season 2 of the show’s prequel, House Of The Dragon. The prequel show debuted on August 1st, 2022, and reeled in a total of 10 million viewers for the series premiere. Needless to say, fans of the franchise have much to be excited about. 

The Lord of Rings: Rings of Power is a prequel to the widely popular series. The show has an 83% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes. The fan score comes to a low 38%. Fans have expressed how poorly adapted the show is and hope for better seasons to come. Season two has just finished filming and plans to have a total of five seasons. 

Reacher’s second season is still currently airing and is racking in high ratings. With a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, fans are excited for further seasons. Season three for the series has already been announced but filming has not yet started filming. 

Yellowstone’s second half of season 5 is set to return in November of this year. The series will end after this season due to a scheduling dispute. Long-time fans are sad to see the series end but are eager to see how the plot will wrap up. 

As stated previously, The Boys is a popular superhero show with season 4 ready to debut this summer. Many fans wait in anticipation for the series to continue. 

There are a lot of shows to look forward to in 2024. With many different genres trending, there’s something for everyone to watch.