Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Ray’s Recipes: Cinnamon Banana Bread

Mia Winnik
Soft and fluffy Banana Bread with a side of brown sugar cinnamon butter

What better way to go into the Holidays than with a healthy, delicious Cinnamon Banana Bread recipe? Other than Helena’s Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, nothing. If you’re looking for a simple way to impress a group of people or just a way to get rid of those old bananas that you said you’d eat, this recipe will be sure to make you, and your stomach happy. In no time you’ll have the most perfectly delicious banana bread, so turn on your favorite Christmas movie and follow this recipe to get into the Holiday spirit.

Ingredients:

• ⅓ cup melted extra-virgin olive oil (anything but avocado and grapeseed oil works for this)
  • ½ cup  maple syrup 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup  mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
  • ¼ cup milk of choice 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder; they aren’t the same!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
  • 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
  • (Optional toppings: any nuts, fruit, or chocolate)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a loaf pan using any type of oil you have on hand. Make sure the pan measures close to 9×5.

This is what it should look like when all of the wet ingredients are mixed. (Mia Winnik)

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Incorporate the eggs and beat thoroughly, then blend in the mashed bananas and milk. If your coconut oil solidifies upon contact with cold ingredients, allow the bowl to rest in a warm spot for a few minutes or briefly warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.

Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon to the mixture, whisking until well blended. Finally, switch to a large spoon and gently stir in the flour until combined, (some lumps are perfectly fine). If you’re including extra mix-ins, delicately fold them in at this stage.

I am adding the dry ingredients to the wet. Make sure you mix it very well. (Mia Winnik)
This is the best flour to use for banana bread. Makes it very fluffy. (Mia Winnik)

Transfer the batter to the pre-greased loaf pan and lightly sprinkle cinnamon. This is also a good time to throw some of your toppings of choice on top (just be careful to not add a lot, so it doesn’t burn). For an aesthetically pleasing swirled effect, use the tip of a knife to create a zig-zag pattern on the batter.

Adding in the toppings (Chopped chocolate covers almonds, walnuts, and cinnamon) (Mia Winnik)

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Remember that if you haven’t added any mix-ins, the bread may be done around 55 minutes; however, if mix-ins are included, it might require closer to 60 minutes. Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for at least 10 minutes, and if necessary, run a butter knife around the edges to loosen it. Carefully transfer the loaf to a wire rack for further cooling before slicing.

This will make your whole house smell amazing, make sure you let it cool before you enjoy it! (Mia Winnik)

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cream cheese

1/4 cup butter

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

Combine equal parts softened cream cheese, and butter of your choice. After combined add in your brown sugar and cinnamon. Chill in the fridge and enjoy with your warm bread.