• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • 6 seconds ago

Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • 23 hours ago

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • 1 day ago

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

Addison O, Staff Writer • 2 days ago

MIA GLI Penny Drive Off to a Strong Start

Photo credit to Olya Adamovich via Pixabay under Pixabay License. Marco Island Academy GLI’s Penny Drive is officially up and running.

GLI’s Penny Drive began on Thursday, November 2nd, and runs until November 28th. The collected money is being split and sent in two different directions. 75% of the donations are being put towards the Shelter For Abused Women and Children in Naples, with 25% going towards the club for future events. The grade with the largest amount of points in their jar will be rewarded with a pizza party during lunch on Friday, December 15th.

The fundraiser has been running for over a week, and has led to a pleasing amount of donations from the student body. Though there are not many dollar donations in the jar, the coin donations take up a majority of the total. As students become more familiar with the rules of the drive, the members of MIA GLI hope that donations will continue to flood in. 

“It’s kind of slow right now,” says Emma Nash, a club member. “One thing that could help would be moving the jars to the lookout lounge. It would be effective because students already spend money at lunch, and with the money in hand, they might feel inclined to put it in the jars.” 

At recent meetings, the girls have brainstormed strategies to further encourage student participation, and improve the collection of donations. Not only was Nash’s idea considered, but other students brought interesting ideas to the table as well. After the meeting, the club added a cheesy reminder on the announcements, and started promoting the drive to the students and staff on a higher level.  

Annabelle Frazer, the President of MIA GLI commented on the matter as well. “I believe that the added enthusiasm on the morning announcements will be very beneficial to the drive. When the excitement is publicized to the entire school, it often has a ripple effect which leads to change.”

The Girls of MIA Girls Learn International have no doubt in their minds that this fundraiser will be a success. The fundraiser ends on the 30th, and the winner will be announced the following day. 

Good luck Rays!