• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

Addison O, Staff Writer • May 13, 2024

With nesting season returning this month, its important to keep our turtles safe. Photo credit to Giorgia Doglioni
 via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Protecting Turtles During Nesting Season
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

It’s the beginning of May, and with May comes these beautiful creatures from the sea. It’s the beginning of nesting season for loggerhead...

Tesla is one of the most popular electronic vehicle companies in the world. Photo credit to Austin Ramsey via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Employee’s Recent Battle with Tesla Layoffs
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

In recent weeks, Tesla began laying off large numbers of their employees. The employees were fired from various positions within the company...

Fortnite’s “OG” Map Returns

Photo credit to 11333328 via Pixabay under Pixabay License. Fortnite, one of the most popular video games in the world, has just returned its original map.

The original map has finally made a return to Fortnite, and along with it came long-time players. Fortnite is a popular game designed by Epic Games, a video game development company. Fortnite was first introduced 6 years ago, and features a battle royal playstyle. Each round, 100 players jump from a “Battle Bus” onto an island to search for weapons and loot, before a storm circle closes in, bringing players closer in distance as the game goes on. Only one player or team brings home the “Victory Royale,” and they are rewarded with an umbrella glider to help them fly across the map from the bus. 

On November 4th, 2023, Fortnite had a major update. This update returned its original map layout from over five years ago, along with all the items and weapons from the original season. Fortnite has been implementing seasons since the game was released in order to maintain interest and make the game exciting for regular players. Every season there is a new theme for the map and new skins to unlock. Every chapter has 10 seasons, and this year we are on chapter 4. The season is called “OG,” referencing the implementation of the Chapter 1, Season 4 map making its return.

Epic Games, the company responsible for developing the game, announced that the six-year-old battle royal had its biggest day ever on November 4th. The new update took place less than a month after Epic Games cut 900 employees, it’s safe to say that they were under the impression that the game was out of its prime. Since then, the game has gone back to its Season 5 Chapter 1 map and has returned back to its original hype. 

Epic Games plans to slowly implement all the original seasons from chapter one as this season goes on. On November 9th, we saw Chapter 1, Season 6 make its return, along with the Halloween theme. Weapons we have not seen in a while will be making a return including the scar, six-shooters, and even the grenade launcher. November 16th seasons 7 and 8 make their return after 5 years as well. This season, originally called “You Better Watch Out,” will follow a Christmas theme. Snow will cover the map, and Christmas skins will make their return, making the game more festive and fun. Most recently, saw Season 9 and X implemented into the game on November 23rd, bringing with them jetpacks and the infamous baller vehicle. 

It is safe to say that this season is dedicated to longtime players, as it provides a sense of nostalgia for many. The season has become a trend on many social media platforms, with people talking about how they feel like they are “returning home” when playing the original map. For many players, this map was their childhood, and the feeling of landing at a spot on the map you haven’t been to in half a decade feels surreal. Now, the biggest question is how will Fortnite hold up after this season. Epic has brought back many of their original players this season, however, what will be their next move? Many think after this season ends, the game will go back into its gradual decline, as some say this is the game’s “last breath.”

Fortnite will retire its OG season on December 2nd, when the original map will be lost for good. Epic Games has had a great run with creating possibly one of the most influential video games to ever be created. Fortnite has generated upwards of 26 billion dollars to this date, and has grown into one of the most relevant video games of our time.

While Fortnite has had its time with great features and will be remembered, December 2nd, 2023 may be many original fan’s last time dropping in.