Addison O, Staff Writer • May 13, 2024

With nesting season returning this month, its important to keep our turtles safe. Photo credit to Giorgia Doglioni
 via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Protecting Turtles During Nesting Season
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

It’s the beginning of May, and with May comes these beautiful creatures from the sea. It’s the beginning of nesting season for loggerhead...

Tesla is one of the most popular electronic vehicle companies in the world. Photo credit to Austin Ramsey via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Employee’s Recent Battle with Tesla Layoffs
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

In recent weeks, Tesla began laying off large numbers of their employees. The employees were fired from various positions within the company...

The crowd at the Marco Island Jammin in the Park festival.
MIA Students Jammin' in the Park
Elle Richardson and Logan YarnellMay 10, 2024

On May 3rd, 2024, the MIA Academy of Rock opened the Jammin’ In The Park concert at Marco Island’s Veteran’s Park. The concert was a free...

Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

Kelce Vs. Swift

Taylor+Swift+and+Travis+Kelce+have+been+taking+over+the+world+on+the+field+and+on+the+stage.+
Emma Nash
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have been taking over the world on the field and on the stage.

Every Sunday, from August to February, chances are you’ll see a number 87 red jersey and a Kansas City Chiefs tight end. Travis Kelce has been a standout football player for the past decade. However, the name Kelce seems to increasingly pop up in the media, being associated with a certain internationally renowned pop star, Taylor Swift. Considered the embodiment of the music industry itself, Swift has made history with the amount of attention she has garnered. Both Kelce and Swift are immensely talented in their respective fields. The question that has arisen since their recent outings is, has Kelce boosted Taylor’s success or vice versa? 

Taylor Swift has been a name in the music industry since 2006, after signing with Big Machine Records in hopes of becoming a country singer. Since then, she has released 10 studio albums to date. With the astronomical success of her world tour, she has an estimated net worth of $1.1 billion according to Bloomberg. Analysts only expect those numbers to increase as Swift gets back on the road and continues her tour. Swift’s success is measured in an array of awards, earning 12 Grammys, 40 American Music Awards, and becoming the first artist to spend a full year at No.1 on the Billboard 100 chart. Swift surpassed the record for the most tickets sold in a single day for one touring artist and has broken 101 Guinness World Records, her accomplishments continue to grow.

Travis Kelce was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2013 draft as the 63rd overall pick. Kelce attended the University of Cincinnati from 2008-2012. Kelce, with a $30 million net worth, has played in three Super Bowl games, the Chiefs winning two of the three games. Kelce currently holds multiple records such as the most receptions by an NFL tight end in their first 10 seasons with 814 catches. He became the Kansas City Chiefs’ all-time leader in receiving yards with 10,941 yards on Sunday, November 5th, 2023, surpassing NFL Hall of Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez, who previously held the title. 

With all the publicity these two have gained in the past couple of months, it can be assumed that both are benefiting. However, when comparing how Swift and Kelce have individually benefited from their blossoming relationship, Kelce has witnessed firsthand what the Swifties are capable of.

First, the name “Travis Kelce” in Google searches increased by 70% since the first game in Arrowhead that Taylor attended. His social media following increased from 1.1 million to 4.4 million after rumors circulated suggesting a relationship between the two. Kelce jersey sales also skyrocketed 400% throughout retail sites. Kansas City Chiefs ticket sales have increased on sites such as StubHub. 

It’s hard to determine how much Kelce has impacted Swift due to the pop star’s already profound popularity and fan base. Nevertheless, Swift being broadcast on Sundays cheering on the Chiefs has allowed exposure from football fans who may have not been aware of the pop star sensation.

The discussion of who has benefited from whom more carries on to be a well-debated topic. The “Traylor” effect continues to have both Swifties and Kelce’s fans on the edge of their seats. As long as the NFL continues to broadcast the two’s progressing relationship, fans of both sides can continue to expect more publicity of the power couple.