• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • 6 seconds ago

Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • 23 hours ago

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • 1 day ago

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

Addison O, Staff Writer • 2 days ago

GUTS Album Review

Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album, Guts, has been extremely successful for the 20-year-old superstar. Rodrigo’s career took off back in 2021 with her first album, Sour. The Grammy Award winner did not disappoint with her second album, with a rating of 4.5/5 stars on Billboard. 

The album is a fun response to her first, with numerous breakup songs and many pop-punk songs. Known for her outstanding songwriting, Rodrigo creates all the lyrics for her albums. She has created a “no skip” album, let’s dive into it! 

BAD IDEA RIGHT?

This song is very high on my list. The song is about texting an ex at a party and all the emotions to go along with it The song is super relatable, and that is why it is in my top 2 on this album. The song gives off an early 2000’s vibe which is something Rodrigo displays best in her music. When I heard this song for the first time, I did not like it. This was common for most listeners, all of us had to get used to the magic of the song. I rate this song an 8.7/10!

VAMPIRE

The first song released off of Guts was Vampire. “It’s a song about feeling confused, and hurt,” Rodrigo states in an interview with ELLE. Vampire, in my opinion, is the heart of this album. It shows the true emotions of a teenager and a state of overthinking. The song is one I can picture in my head. Rodrigo tends to use imagery like this in the majority of her songs. I feel like the song is overplayed, as a result of it being released earlier than the others. The song is a no skip though, because of how upbeat and fun it is to sing. I rate this song a 7.5/10!

LACY

“Lacy, oh Lacy…” you are number one on my rankings! Lacy is the most refreshing song I have ever heard. The song is mellow and gives a Lana Del Ray vibe when listening. Rodrigo shows again how talented she is with her mixing of genres. The song is completely different from all the others on Guts. This was the first song I listened to on the album when it was fully released, and it was what I imagined “true love” to feel like. The bridge is like none other and is one I love singing along to. This song has gotten me through a lot and is one that every teenage girl deserves to hear. I wish I could relive the first time I listened to the song, it was magical. I rate this song a 10/10. 

BALLAD OF A HOMESCHOOLED GIRL

Have you ever been homeschooled? Rodrigo was for her whole life. The song talks about the struggles of a socially awkward and boy-less childhood. This song is meaningful to me lyrically, but the song needs to be added to the top of my list. On every album, there is always that one song that you just don’t vibe with, this is mine. I rate this song a 6/10!

MAKING THE BED

This song is very meh. I’ll admit to it. The first few listens were magical and it sits with me all the time. I enjoy the meaning of the song, but the lyrics are very repetitive. I also have listened to this song a lot, and as a result, I have gotten annoyed with it. The song is one about independence, and how her past relationships have gotten her nowhere. I rate this song an 8.8/10!

LOGICAL

Logical is such a masterpiece. The song goes in-depth about how easy it is to fall in love with someone, but changing them from their past is impossible. “Love is never Logical” is a new lyric that has stuck with me since its release. I love this song because of how real it is. Although I have never been through this with a relationship, I have many friendships and betrayal is sadly common. I love how calming the song is, and it gets me thinking. It is not my favorite song, but it is one that I will never skip. I rate this song an 8/10!

GET HIM BACK!

This song is a big throwback! It is giving off a big 90’s vibe that is unmatched. Rodrigo released an amazing music video for this song after its release. It shows the inner rage she is pouring out in this song and the chorus. I adore this song. It was one that has stuck with me. I love how Rodrigo does not hold back and shares her trauma in this song, making it very relatable. This song is in my top two and has changed my perspective on many things. I rate this song a 9.7/10!

LOVE IS EMBARRASSING

Have you ever been in an awkward relationship? Well for girls who have, this is a song for you. This song is about how you can get attached to someone, and their lack of appreciation after you put all of your effort in. I think this song is very good. It represents a teenage girl’s head after being ghosted. I relate to this song, cause I am known for putting all of my energy and love on the line and getting none of it back. I rate this song a 7.9/10!

THE GRUDGE

Wow. What a song. The pain Rodrigo feels in this song is so powerful. The songwriting in this song is out of this world. This song has gotten me through so much, and it makes me feel like a balloon floating over a very windy area. She emphasizes many words, making it even more powerful. The bridge is like none other. She is going through it in this musical masterpiece. I rate this a 10/10! Phenomenal.

PRETTY ISN’T PRETTY

Transitioning into something more upbeat, pretty isn’t pretty is next up! She says a lot in the song that she doesn’t feel good enough with the current standards that the internet pushes on young girls. Everything she does is “not enough” and she is always “insecure”. I appreciate this song a lot because the meaning is so impactful and it makes me feel less alone. This song is such a musical masterpiece, she sounds like an angel. This was an automatic favorite when the album came out. I love the layering of voices and the electric guitar in there. I rate this song an 8.5/10.

TEENAGE DREAM

Rodrigo adds a power ballad as the last song on the album, and everything comes full circle. All of the pain she has felt in this album comes to an end, and she stresses the need for people need to validate teenager’s feelings. The song is spectacular, what’s new? I always listen to this song when I am in the zone working, and it feeds my brain for some reason. It is such a gorgeous song that is underplayed. The song was a perfect way to end this “no-skip album”. I rate this song a 9/10.

Guts is an amazing album, I rate it an 8/10. So many powerful songs, and you can see the maturity in her voice and writing.