MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
May 6, 2024

Mia Winnik, Entertainment Editor • May 6, 2024

Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Grant Tirrell, Features Editor • May 6, 2024

Along with 1 in every 12 men and 1 in every 200 women worldwide, I experience the world through the lens of the genetic condition of color blindness....

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 05/06/24
May 6, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, HAPPY TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!!!, and today is Monday, May 6th, 2024, and these...

Rays Praise
Ray's Praise
May 6, 2024

What is Ray’s Praise? Ray’s Praise is an opportunity for students at MIA to show their appreciation for others. Whether it’s a classmate,...

Boys Basketball Preview

Jayden Wampler
The Basketball season is ready to tip off, and our mighty Manta Ray is ready to win.

Boys Basketball Season Preview

Practice Schedule: The team works to improve their skills at after school practice every day, and occasionally on Saturdays.

Senior Players: The varsity team will consist of two seniors this season: Grayson Jones and Samson Brown. The two hope for a memorable and successful final season at Marco Island Academy. They look not only to succeed and show leadership on the court but to inspire the future of Marco Island Academy basketball to work hard.

Coaches

• Head Coach Jim Watt
  • Assistant CoachTim Sadler

High Expectations: After posting an 8-9 record in the 2022-2023 regular season and participating in a tournament in Boca Raton, the basketball team is eager to further improve their record this season. 

The Season Ahead:

• The first scrimmage is Saturday, November 18th where our Manta Rays will play the Imagine School at North Port.
  •  Their first regular season game will be an away game on November 27th at Naples Classical.
  • As of right now, the season has 16 games scheduled, 9 of them being home games at MIA’s very own gymnasium. You can see the full schedule for the MIA Manta Rays basketball season at themiawave.org.

The Starting Five:

• Nick Sadler (sophomore)
  • Veleon Nazrako (sophomore)
  • Grayson Jones (senior)
  • Jake Watt (junior)
  • Mathis Fontes (sophomore)

Key Factors

• Locally, MIA will face stiff competition from local rival Donahue Academy. They look to repeat their successful 14-11 record and a 9-4 record in their local conference. 
  • With three sophomores starting, it will be interesting to see if they can successfully step into a bigger role on the team.
  • With the loss of three seniors from last year, it will be fascinating to see how our Manta Rays recover this season.