MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
May 6, 2024

Mia Winnik, Entertainment Editor • May 6, 2024

Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Grant Tirrell, Features Editor • May 6, 2024

Along with 1 in every 12 men and 1 in every 200 women worldwide, I experience the world through the lens of the genetic condition of color blindness....

May 6, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, HAPPY TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!!!, and today is Monday, May 6th, 2024, and these...

Rays Praise
Ray's Praise
May 6, 2024

What is Ray’s Praise? Ray’s Praise is an opportunity for students at MIA to show their appreciation for others. Whether it’s a classmate,...

Colorado Football is Stampeding the Competition

Photo via Unsplash under Unsplash License Colorado’s new football program is making heads turn around the country.

When Deion Sanders took over the Colorado Buffalo’s football team in 2023, people questioned whether he could ensure wins for the program. Last year was a disaster for Colorado football; they were 1-11 overall and severely lacked talent. Colorado needed help to keep its footing against every team they faced. Deion Sanders had to rebuild the entire team from scratch. With new players and coaches entering the program, the season is expected to show a positive improvement from the years prior. 

The Atlanta Falcons drafted Deion Sanders out of Florida State University in 1989. He was a spectacular player when he was with The Atlanta Falcons. Sanders, who played with different teams throughout his NFL career, scored six touchdowns on punt returns and nine interceptions. Sanders also played professional baseball and was signed to the New York Yankees. He became the only athlete to play two major professional teams in the same seven-day period. He was also the only athlete to compete in a World Series and a Super Bowl. Sanders stayed with the Falcons for five years and signed one more year with the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. He brought each team that he played on to the Super Bowl. 

Deion Sanders became a TV personality and analyst for CBS’ NFL Today pregame show. Sanders started coaching but continued to be an NFL analyst on TV. Sanders joined the staff for the annual Armour All-America Game, featuring the top high school recruits in the country. Five years later, Sanders became an offensive coordinator at Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill, the Dallas area high school where his sons Shilo and Shedeur attended. Then, in 2020, Jackson State University hired Sanders to become its head football coach.

After a 12-win season in 2022, Sanders earned a promotion to the NCAA bowl subdivisions after being named the head coach at the University of Colorado that December. The Buffaloes had a one-win season, hoping that Sanders could reinvigorate the program. More than 50 Colorado players entered the transfer portal following Sanders’ hiring, completely rebuilding the team. He chose all his former players from Jackson State, including his sons Shedeur and Shilo. Additionally, he brought over a playmaker cornerback/receiver, Travis Hunter. He is hopeful that the players he transferred will impact the team, get wins, and prevent a losing record like the previous year. 

Sanders implemented a new offensive and defensive play to suit the talent of his players. Off the field, Deion Sanders influences the program’s culture. Sanders’ changes created a more positive and supportive environment for the players. Colorado played against top-ranked USC and lost 48-41 in a competitive game. After the game, the players and coaches returned to the locker room. Sanders told his players:

“You understand what could’ve happened. So understand that taste in your mouth, that you don’t want it again. Because I know we have something special here. You must be a fool if you can’t see what we’re building here. I’m proud of every one of you.”

— Deion Sanders

Sanders is in the process of accomplishing something great; this is why those who joined him are staying along for the ride. He gives his players a sense of passion and a desire to push themselves to be better.                

While Deion Sanders’ team may not win the championship this year, his undoubted success will change the landscape for college football.