• May 30Have a safe, productive, and fun summer...GOOOO RAYS!
  • May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Recipients Collette Combs, Gordon Davis, Daniel Heekin, Thomas Heekin, Austin Hendrick, Makayla Hendrick, Isabella Kakaty, Piper Noyes, Celine Schauer and Grant Tirrell being congratulated for receiving the Marco Island Woman’s Club Award by presenter Anne Marchetti Marco Island Woman’s Club and MIWC president Sharyn Kampmeyer.
Senior Award Celebration
Lauren Riley, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

On Tuesday May 21, Marco Island Academy held their annual Senior Award Celebration in the MIA gym for the Class of 2024. This event highlighted...

Rays Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Ray's Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Cassie Letendre, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Skylar Siems, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Photo credits to Brian McGowan via  Unsplash under the Unsplash license.
Disney's Moana - A Movie Review
Addison O, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

The popular Disney film, “Moana” which came out on November 23rd, 2016, will always be one of my personal favorites. This film is set in...

Photo credits to Bethesda Softworks, LLC via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons license.
Fallout - A TV Show Review
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

In the past, video games being turned into movies and TV shows had never really worked out. However, video games turning into movies or shows...

Top 5 Horror Movies

Horror movies are a staple of Halloween, but some are definitely better than others.
Elle Richardson

With Halloween fast approaching, there is no better way to immerse yourself in the spooky spirit than by watching horror movies. Over the years, debate has sparked upon the best horror films, but I’m here to present the top 5 horror movies that are sure to shiver your timbers. So, dim the lights, grab your popcorn, and prepare to be horrified by the movies that await you in this carefully created list of cinematic scares. 

5. Scream

“Scream” is a classic horror movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. It’s known for its blend of suspense and humor, following a group of high school friends targeted by a masked killer who torments them with suspenseful phone calls and gruesome murders. As they play with this terrifying game of cat and mouse, the movie cleverly defies many typical horror tropes, making its unmasking scene one of the most iconic in horror history. (By the way, Ghostface makes for the best Halloween costume.) 

4. Friday the 13th 

“Friday the 13th” is a must-watch for horror enthusiasts; you can’t claim to be a true horror movie fan without watching this masterpiece. This classic slasher film takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, where a group of camp counselors falls victim to a mysterious and unstoppable killer. The movie is known for its suspenseful atmosphere, gruesome murders, and the iconic masked killer Jason Voorhees, who has become a household name in the horror genre. 

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

“Texas Chainsaw Massacre” is one of the most gruesome and stomach-curdling movies ever made. Between the iconic killer Leatherface and the gory kills, it makes this movie a must-watch. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” is a gruesome horror classic known for its nonstop terror. The film follows a group of friends who encounter a family of insane, cannibalistic killers in rural Texas, delivering a disturbing experience that has become a classic in the horror genre.

2. The Exorcist 

“The Exorcist” is arguably the scariest horror film ever made; it’s enough to give even the bravest souls nightmares. This movie explores the terrifying story of a young girl named Regan who becomes possessed by a demon. As her mother seeks help from two priests to save her daughter’s soul, the film explores the theme of faith and the battle between good and evil, leaving a significant impact on the horror genre with its terrifying imagery. 

1. Nightmare on Elm Street

“Nightmare on Elm Street” is a classic horror movie that profoundly influenced the horror genre’s filmmaking techniques and the use of practical effects. It also introduced one of the most iconic and terrifying horror movie villains of all time. In this film, a group of friends must confront their deepest fears in their dreams as they face off against the terrifying Freddy Krueger, a villain with a glove made of sharp knives. To survive, they must stay awake and uncover a way to defeat the diabolical killer. (This movie gave me nightmares for weeks.)