Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 04/26/24
April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Top 5 Horror Movies

Horror movies are a staple of Halloween, but some are definitely better than others.
Elle Richardson

With Halloween fast approaching, there is no better way to immerse yourself in the spooky spirit than by watching horror movies. Over the years, debate has sparked upon the best horror films, but I’m here to present the top 5 horror movies that are sure to shiver your timbers. So, dim the lights, grab your popcorn, and prepare to be horrified by the movies that await you in this carefully created list of cinematic scares. 

5. Scream

“Scream” is a classic horror movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. It’s known for its blend of suspense and humor, following a group of high school friends targeted by a masked killer who torments them with suspenseful phone calls and gruesome murders. As they play with this terrifying game of cat and mouse, the movie cleverly defies many typical horror tropes, making its unmasking scene one of the most iconic in horror history. (By the way, Ghostface makes for the best Halloween costume.) 

4. Friday the 13th 

“Friday the 13th” is a must-watch for horror enthusiasts; you can’t claim to be a true horror movie fan without watching this masterpiece. This classic slasher film takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, where a group of camp counselors falls victim to a mysterious and unstoppable killer. The movie is known for its suspenseful atmosphere, gruesome murders, and the iconic masked killer Jason Voorhees, who has become a household name in the horror genre. 

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

“Texas Chainsaw Massacre” is one of the most gruesome and stomach-curdling movies ever made. Between the iconic killer Leatherface and the gory kills, it makes this movie a must-watch. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” is a gruesome horror classic known for its nonstop terror. The film follows a group of friends who encounter a family of insane, cannibalistic killers in rural Texas, delivering a disturbing experience that has become a classic in the horror genre.

2. The Exorcist 

“The Exorcist” is arguably the scariest horror film ever made; it’s enough to give even the bravest souls nightmares. This movie explores the terrifying story of a young girl named Regan who becomes possessed by a demon. As her mother seeks help from two priests to save her daughter’s soul, the film explores the theme of faith and the battle between good and evil, leaving a significant impact on the horror genre with its terrifying imagery. 

1. Nightmare on Elm Street

“Nightmare on Elm Street” is a classic horror movie that profoundly influenced the horror genre’s filmmaking techniques and the use of practical effects. It also introduced one of the most iconic and terrifying horror movie villains of all time. In this film, a group of friends must confront their deepest fears in their dreams as they face off against the terrifying Freddy Krueger, a villain with a glove made of sharp knives. To survive, they must stay awake and uncover a way to defeat the diabolical killer. (This movie gave me nightmares for weeks.)