MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
MIA Committed - Alexa Groves
May 6, 2024

Mia Winnik, Entertainment Editor • May 6, 2024

Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Through the Lens of Colorblindness
Grant Tirrell, Features Editor • May 6, 2024

Along with 1 in every 12 men and 1 in every 200 women worldwide, I experience the world through the lens of the genetic condition of color blindness....

May 6, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, HAPPY TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!!!, and today is Monday, May 6th, 2024, and these...

Rays Praise
Ray's Praise
May 6, 2024

What is Ray’s Praise? Ray’s Praise is an opportunity for students at MIA to show their appreciation for others. Whether it’s a classmate,...

Soccer in Saudi Arabia

Photo via Unsplash under Unsplash License Saudi Arabia is the new hot spot for future soccer stars.

For years, soccer has been considered more than a sport in European countries; it has been a culture and a lifestyle. Italy, England, Spain, and France have garnered more attention than other nations in the past. However, Saudi Arabia has increasingly started to capture the interest of many soccer fans. Evidence suggests that Saudi Arabia’s viewership has increased more than seven times.

Money is pouring into Saudi Arabian soccer; the wealthy oil tycoons within the country are investing heavily in several soccer teams. They have signed several high-profile players, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, and Neymar Jr. Many more players are expected to transfer to Saudi sides after witnessing the substantial payouts received by current players. 

Ronaldo was among the first of the many well-known players to transfer to Saudi Arabia, and his move has significantly boosted the league’s popularity. Ronaldo signed a record-breaking contract of over $200 million. Ronaldo has contributed significantly to Al-Nassr’s increased viewership and has demonstrated their ability to attract top players to their team. 

Karim Benzema, one of Europe’s best players, has achieved significant success throughout his career. Despite being 35 years old, Benzema continues his soccer career. The contract proposed by Saudi Arabia, signing a three-year deal worth $200 million, was a monumental moment for him. 

31-year-old Neymar Jr., one of FC Barcelona’s and PSG’s finest players, was signed by Al-Nassr for a staggering $98 million. When Neymar was with Barca, he proved himself an elite player. His footwork against his opponents was off the charts. Luis Enrique said about Neymar: “Defenders only have two choices when facing him: concede a penalty or let him score.” Critics argued that Neymar did not fully live up to his potential due to frequent injuries and on-field drama. Neymar ruined his chances to stay with PSG. However, now on the Saudi Arabian team, Neymar impacts the team with more than his on-field skills. He attracts more game viewers and creates branding opportunities for Al Nassr. 

Watching the future of the Saudi Arabian League will be promising now that it has three of the world’s best players. Now that players and viewers alike are witnessing the success and progress of the league, it may prove to be another reason for players to transfer to the Saudi League.