Teacher Feature: Mrs. Walther

Bella Burgos, Staff Writer

Mrs. Walther is one of the newest additions to our group of leaders at MIA. She currently teaches IGCSE Global Perspectives and will be teaching Spanish.

Mrs. Walther grew up outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and attended the West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Throughout her life, she has fostered a deep passion for history and culture. In school, she thrived in her history classes and always knew she wanted to share this knowledge with others.

“I’ve always wanted to help others to learn more about themselves and especially about different cultures,” she states.

When she was younger, her dream job was to be a teacher or a nurse. What pushed her to teach was her experience studying abroad in Spain. It helped open her eyes to new traditions outside of her state and country. She says, “It lit a fire in me to learn about as many cultures as I can.” As a result, she continues to travel to many different places and attempts to go on vacation every summer. Learning from other cultures during her visits has allowed her to share these experiences with her students.

Outside of school, she enjoys working out and baking. When she felt bored during quarantine, baking was her go-to activity. She also loves to spend time with her two children and her cat.

With this passion and drive for learning, teaching became natural to her. Mrs. Walther received an award for “Inspiring Teachers,” which was given to her by the governor of Florida. Interestingly enough, Mrs. Walther taught at MIA in its developing stages, and her return was welcomed by all.