• December 5U.S. History EOC Thursday 12/7
  • December 5Biology EOC Friday 12/8
  • December 5Civics EOC Monday 12/11
  • December 5Geometry EOC Tuesday 12/12
  • December 5Algebra 1 EOC Wednesday 12/13
  • December 5SEMESTER 1 FINAL EXAMS Friday 12/15

The Persistence Podcast - Jessica Babcock
Annabelle Frazer and Helen TottenDecember 7, 2023

In this installment, the girls speak with Jessica Babcock, a female Pastor at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church.

Injuries in Florida sports are rapidly rising due to intensity and competitiveness.
Florida Sports Injuries Increase
Medney Garraux, Staff Writer • December 7, 2023

Injuries frequently occur during sports. However, the injuries in the state of Florida have increased incredibly. In 2023, Florida is experiencing...

Maximo Walters, Staff Writer • December 7, 2023

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 12/7/23
December 7, 2023

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is THURSDAY, December 7th, 2023, and these are your morning announcements!    General...

Lauren Riley, Associate Editor • December 6, 2023

New Florida Gun Law Sparks a Debate for MIA Students

Elle Richardson
Gun laws in the state of Florida are being reconstructed, but there are divided opinions on how.

On June 1, 2023, the state of Florida passed a new gun law that has changed the way Florida residents engage with firearms on a daily basis. In a statement provided by the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department, “New legislation takes effect in the state of Florida which authorizes a person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to a valid concealed weapons license or without a concealed weapons license provided that the criteria for obtaining a license is met.” 

The legislation, which went into effect on July 1, 2023, has sparked intense discussion and raised concerns about its potential consequences for both gun users and the public. As Floridians adjust to these changes, it is obvious that this adaptation is changing not only how residents use their Second Amendment rights, but how they structure their daily lives as well. Because this new law states that anyone without a permit can own a firearm as long as it is hidden, many feel that this puts students and staff in jeopardy. The new Florida gun law creates a number of concerns, ranging from accidental shootings to a decrease in safe and supportive learning environments.

The effects of a law of this nature appear to be extremely concerning for the safety and security of Florida teachers and children, especially for those who attend school in person, rather than online. Marco Island Academy is equipped with a strong security system where students are heavily protected from any external threats. With the introduction of this new law, many are concerned that this prompts for a higher number of mass shootings to occur in the state of Florida. For the growing concern for school shootings in particular, there is a growing desire for schools to add extensive security measures to ensure students’ safety. 

When a mass poll was released to the school, 96.6% of students reported that they feel safe attending school here, according to the corresponding poll. The law could create an intimidating atmosphere in schools, where the accessibility of firearms could increase stress and anxiety among staff and students. When firearms are introduced into the school environment, there is a possibility of accidents and abuse of weapons, which places students and educators at risk. 

It’s not only in the area of schools that are affected by this new law, 25% of students here at MIA don’t feel safe when attending a concert. Not only this but 19.4% of MIA students have been in a situation where they had to second guess if the area they are in is unsafe. It’s crazy to think that now in this generation kids have to walk around knowing that they are not safe in these environments. With this being said, 38.6% of students have been caught in a moment where they didn’t know how to protect themselves. The law has put everyone in a stressful situation.

On August  27, 2023, there was a reported mass shooting in Jacksonville, Florida where 21-year-old Ryan Christopher allegedly killed three African Americans in a Dollar General Store. There are random places where these mishaps can happen. “In this situation, there was nothing illegal about him owning the firearms,” said Sheriff T.K Water. The gunman fatally murdered the African Americans for racial reasons. The law came out a month before this situation came to be and already an attack happened. Due to the gun law, it ensures anyone can have a firearm and the owner with the firearm has the will to attack anyone. There is not one safe spot someone can be without second-guessing their safety. 

At MIA, 60.9% of the students believe that the Florida gun law should be revoked and 55.2% believe that the appropriate age to obtain a firearm is 21+. The new Florida gun law raises significant concerns for many people. While the law may have been enacted to enhance public safety and protect individual rights, it has several factors that may be detrimental to the safety of individuals. To achieve a balance between individual gun rights and public safety, politicians should consider revising the law with suggestions from many different groups to ensure that it addresses the specific needs and concerns of Florida’s diverse communities while also promoting a safer and more secure environment for all residents. 

View Comments (1)
$445
$1200