Addison O, Staff Writer • May 13, 2024

With nesting season returning this month, its important to keep our turtles safe. Photo credit to Giorgia Doglioni
 via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Protecting Turtles During Nesting Season
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

It’s the beginning of May, and with May comes these beautiful creatures from the sea. It’s the beginning of nesting season for loggerhead...

Tesla is one of the most popular electronic vehicle companies in the world. Photo credit to Austin Ramsey via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Employee’s Recent Battle with Tesla Layoffs
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

In recent weeks, Tesla began laying off large numbers of their employees. The employees were fired from various positions within the company...

The crowd at the Marco Island Jammin in the Park festival.
MIA Students Jammin' in the Park
Elle Richardson and Logan YarnellMay 10, 2024

On May 3rd, 2024, the MIA Academy of Rock opened the Jammin’ In The Park concert at Marco Island’s Veteran’s Park. The concert was a free...

Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

Album Review: Lust For Life

Lust for Life is Lana Del Rey’s 5th Studio Album released in 2017 that is very popular and well known throughout her fan base. This album shows Del Rey’s diversity and growth as an artist, letting the world know that she’s more than just a “sad girl”.  Lust for Life balances a sense of maturity with the journey of choosing your life path. 

Love – 10/10

Love is the leading single and opening track to Lust for Life and I adore this song. This song has an old-timey swing to it that my ears can’t get enough of. It is the perfect introduction to this album and is very centered around themes of love. This song is also very relatable for the youth with the whole song being about young people in love and how they have their whole lives ahead of them. The elements Del Rey adds to this song make it even more favorable but I’d say my overall favorite detail I really can appreciate is the way she starts the song in 2nd person while ending it in first.  Overall this song is vocally and lyrically pleasing making it one of my favorites on the whole album. 

Lust for Life (Ft. The Weeknd)- 9/10

Lust for Life is the title track of the album and I will say that it deserved it. Although it’s not my favorite from the album it is most definitely a standout song. This song gives the listener a desirable feel almost like you can sense the attraction between Del Rey and The Weeknd. Much like Love, this song has a swaying beat that will hook the listener in. Although it can be kind of repetitive to some, it has a great chorus that I always catch myself humming later on. Adding The Weeknd onto this track was a great choice with their voices complementing each other leaving me wanting more after every listen. 

13 Beaches- 6.5/10

Even though this song is not one of my favorites whatsoever, I do have a deep appreciation for it.  This song is very raw and deep in the sense of its poetic lyrics. I prefer the chorus over the verses just because the verses seem like they’re lacking something. Although it’s not one of my go-to’s when listening to this album, I still admire its beautiful emotional artistry. 

Cherry- 8/10

Cherry as a song has recently grown on me the past few months with its amazing attributes such as her angelic vocals (especially towards the end) and the ad-libs that give so much to the song but I’m not exactly sure what. This song introduces the present trap beat in the background which will be a recurring theme in the other songs. This song does have a lot going on but in the best way possible leaving us with a catchy song. 

White Mustang- 7.5/10

I couldn’t manage to give this song a flat 7 because it’s just not. This is one of the songs on the album that especially showcases Del Rey’s talent for storytelling through her lyrics. Along with Cherry, it has a chill trap beat that compliments the soft and mellow aura of the song. I’d say the best word to describe this song is smoky. If I concentrated on listening to this song I think its rating could go up, but for now, I think a 7.5 is a good rating for this song.

Summer Bummer (Ft. A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti)- 8/10

The blending of genres in this song is a true masterpiece. I remember the first time listening to this song and being taken aback. I was specifically taken aback by the way this song all ties together somehow.  The blend of Rocky’s verse, Lana’s chill vocals, and Carti’s random ad-lib makes this song artistically unique. Yes, it does in some parts disharmonize and the ad-libs do seem a little out of place at times, but, I think that that makes the song. In general, it’s a vibey song with a great chorus. 

Groupie Love (Ft. A$AP Rocky) – 10/10

What a good song this is. 100% in my top songs for this album. The lyrics do speak for themselves but if you haven’t listened to this song already (what are you doing???) I’ll break it down for you. This girl falls in love with a rockstar, expressing her excitement and how she doesn’t want to share him with anyone else. Then, the song goes into Rocky’s verse which is in the perspective of the rockstar. The storytelling in this song is top tier and the way their different styles can go along with each other makes this song such a good listen. Not to mention the chorus is very catchy and unforgettable with an amazing beat in the back. An underrated song I certainly recommend you to listen to. 

In My Feelings- 5/10

This isn’t a bad song by any means, just kind of eh. I mean it’s good but it will probably not be making it to my playlist. The chorus of this song is nice with that trap element and signature Lana Del Rey vocals, but it’s lackluster in my opinion. 

Coachella- Woodstock on My Mind- 6/10 

This song kind of just feels like Lana is thinking out loud about an array of topics. Although the lyrics are nicely written, at first listen it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what she’s singing about. One thing I do enjoy about this song is the fading ending that ties it all together. Altogether, It’s a solid song but not the best. 

God Bless America- And All the Beautiful Women in it. – 7/10

Del Rey’s voice makes this song very pleasurable to listen to. With themes of women empowerment and, of course, love this song has many great attributes. The chorus and bridge are standout qualities of this song along with the transition of the acoustic guitar to that recurring soft trap beat. A very raw song that I enjoy. 

When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing- 4/10

Sadly, I have to say this is my least favorite song out of the whole album. It’s just not a standout song that is honestly, kind of boring. And I hate to say that because I love the title. But, this song just doesn’t do it for me and is a little too long. 

Beautiful People Beautiful Problems (Ft. Stevie Nicks) -8.5/10

Just like the title, this song is beautiful. The opening piano of this song sets the tone for the whole thing. With lovely instrumentals and background vocals, this song feels like I’m being lifted to heaven. I can see this song becoming one of my favorites in the near future. There’s something about the way Nicks and Del Rey’s vocals just blend that top off this song. The song also tackles themes of love and learning to love someone even with their problems, because everyone has them. Overall, a lovely song.

Tomorrow Never Came (Ft. Sean Ono Lennon)- 10/10

This song is so sad and nostalgic, reminiscing on a past relationship and the heartbreak of trying to reconnect with someone you love and lost. I imagine this song is what it sounds like for Lana to be singing to me in an empty arena. This song is just so alluring with wonderful lyrics and blends of different types of guitars. This song also has a retro element to it and even mentions John Lennon and his wife. Sean Ono Lennon brings so much to the table in this song, with his voice sounding just like his father’s. All I have to say is good things about this song. One of my favorites.

Heroin- 5/10

This song seems just like every other Lana Del Rey song, which isn’t a bad thing don’t get me wrong, but there is just nothing special about this one. I will say when it gets to the middle the song gets a little better, but still not her best.

Change- 7/10

This song is smooth, soft, and slow with a good message that sticks to me. It gives hope to the listener while dealing with the struggles of change. It is a sweet song with a beautiful piano. 

Get Free- 10/10

Now, last but not least is Get Free. This song is probably my favorite song out of the whole album. This song is essential to Lust for Life with Del Rey concluding the album with a sense of maturity and realizing that this is her life and she wants to live it. This song, along with like 2 others, really made me fall in love with Lana. The whole song is astounding. Her vocals from the first line are breathtaking and the lyrics are genius. There is so much I could say about this song but I’ll leave it at this; every time I listen to it, it feels like I’m levitating and being resurrected by God himself. Such an amazing piece of art. 

View Comments (1)
$495
$1200