Where Are They Now?

Hailey Cartwright – Class of 2021

Where Are They Now?

Taylor Drott, Staff Writer

Hailey Cartwright is a 2021 graduate from Marco Island Academy. After high school, Hailey spent her first couple of years studying at FGCU, and now she attends Keiser University in Ft. Myers. She is studying to be an occupational therapy assistant, like her mom, and described how high school prepared her and what inspired her to study occupational therapy. 

When it came to high school classes at MIA, Hailey felt very prepared for college through these. English classes taught her the most, as many papers taught her how to write about her own thoughts, perspectives and views. This all allowed her to feel more confident and it has led her to where she is now. 

In the midst of Hailey’s high school years, she also had a job at a water ski camp.  At this camp, Hailey helped many different types of people learn how to water ski. This includes children, adults and individuals with both mental and physical disabilities. Working with kids influenced her most and it helped her realize that she wanted to pursue a career in occupational therapy. More specifically, she hopes to work in pediatrics. 

After Hailey’s high school years, the most surprising change after graduating from MIA was how independent everything had become for her. Hailey learned that nobody keeps track of what you need to do. This means that you have to become much more responsible, and know that all of your actions decide your path. 

When it comes to responsibilities, Hailey has taken on a large amount. Hailey’s occupational therapy program is extremely vigorous, and has caused Hailey to put in a lot of work. For example, if Hailey doesn’t achieve the minimum required grade, then she can’t move ahead in the program. With this, Hailey was surprised to see that her studies would have to be learned in such a short period of time. Nonetheless, she knows that this vigorous activity will prepare her for her actual career. Knowing this material has put a lot of responsibility on her, and it’ll ensure that she has the knowledge for her career in occupational therapy. 

As for advice for current high schoolers, Hailey explained that they should work hard and try to create an established routine for themselves now. Hailey said that it can be a struggle to balance studies, part time jobs, friends, and family, among all the other new responsibilities.. This is why coming up with a routine while you’re still in high school is important, as it will make your years outside of high school so much easier.