Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

The Benefits of Bone Broth

Featured is a mug of Bonafide Provisions Organic Beef Bone Broth.
Isabella Kakaty

Bone broth is prepared by simmering specific animals’ bones and connective tissues. The bones and tissue form a stock that can be used for soups and sauces. Simmering bones causes them to release healing compounds that have the power to transform human health. Aside from its use in traditional dishes, bone broth has been used as a healing tonic to prevent and remedy illnesses for centuries. 

Bone broth can be prepared with bones from most animals, including chicken, cows, pigs, turkey, lamb, and fish. ​​Beef bone broth is most commonly consumed by itself, while chicken bone broth is widely known for being used in soups and rice. Many people choose to drink bone broth daily for its health benefits, while others drink it for the sole intent of weight loss. 

The advantages of consuming bone broth include reducing inflammation, improving joint health, managing weight and growing muscle mass, and improving sleep and brain function. Bone broth can stimulate the immune system and promote proper digestive function. It is commonly consumed to improve gut health, increase muscle mass, and relieve sickness or flu symptoms. The electrolytes, potassium, and magnesium present in bone broth can help shorten the duration of flu symptoms by replenishing lost fluids. 

Bone broth is rich in nutrients, including essential amino acids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals needed to build and strengthen human bones. The biologically active components of bone broth include calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, connective tissue proteins, and peptides. The bone marrow found in broth provides vitamins A and B, as well as zinc, iron, and selenium. These nutrients assist in the building of blood cells, which play a key role in the body’s healing mechanisms. 

Mr. Miller, the athletic director and physical education teacher at Marco Island Academy, was interviewed regarding his experiences drinking bone broth. Mr. Miller drinks College Inn Chicken Bone Broth every day for lunch and has also made his own bone broth. He discussed the benefits of bone broth that he has experienced personally, including how he engaged in intermittent fasting with bone broth to “get into shape and lose weight.” When asked whether he would recommend bone broth to other teachers and students, he replied, “Yes, I would 100% recommend bone broth to anyone looking to improve their health and physique.”

Bone broth can be bought at most grocery stores, including Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Aldis, Fresh Market, and Walmart. It is often found in canned soups or broth aisles, and fresh bone broth can be found in the freezer section. Bone broth can also be purchased online, and many bone broth brands allow consumers to purchase the broth directly from their website. Popular chicken and beef bone broth brands include Kettle & Fire, Pacific Foods, and Bonafide Provisions. Many farms also supply bone broth. 

When purchasing beef bone broth, it is important to pay attention to the label. Meat from cows that graze freely on grass for their entire lives is often considered the best for human health, thanks to a healthier fat profile and an increased amount of antioxidants. Therefore, it is best to purchase grass-fed, organic bone broth, free of antibiotics and growth hormones. Grass-fed certified animals are raised in open grass pastures, where the animals are free to graze, rather than being confined in cramped living spaces. Purchasing organic broth ensures that the cattle are eating pure, pesticide-free grass.

Simple recipes for homemade bone broth typically only require water, apple cider vinegar, animal bones, salt, and pepper, as well as a large pot. Some recipes feature additional vegetables, herbs, and spices, such as garlic, onion, celery, carrot, parsley, and thyme. Both homemade and store-bought bone broth can be stored safely in the refrigerator for 3–4 days. However, it can be frozen in small containers and defrosted for individual servings as needed. 

Research concludes that consuming bone broth in soups, rice, or by itself can be beneficial to the human body in various ways. Overall, bone broth can serve as a flavorful, nutritious addition to your diet.