Ive spent the last thirteen years of my life in Florida. Upon graduating, I will leave and never return.
Fleeing Florida
Annabelle Frazer, Editor-in-Chief • April 26, 2024

My family and I first moved to the Sunshine State when I was three years old. At the time, it was a perfectly rational decision. The weather...

MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
MIA Committed - Mia Winnik
April 26, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • April 26, 2024

April 26, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, April 26th, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

What You Wish They Taught: Basic Automotive Maintenance

Everyone struggles with growing up, but some everyday tasks are harder than others.
Elle Richardson

Like every other machine, cars break. In order to prevent a costly repair, keeping your car in proper condition is important. There are a few day-to-day maintenance aspects that are important to know and stay on top of.

Oil Change

An oil change is important for your car as it clears your engine of debris caught up in old oil and replenishes any oil that had been used. Most cars will require an oil change every three months or every 3,000 miles with natural oil, but newer cars using synthetic oil might last longer. If you are in a financial position to pay for an oil change, doing this at the original dealership’s maintenance bay or at an auto repair shop is recommended. Yet if this is not a feasible option for you, it is possible to change your oil on your own. First, check what kind of oil your car takes. This can be found in the owner’s manual. If you have an older car as well, you may need to replace the oil filter. The specifications for this can be found in the owner’s manual as well.

Make sure you let your car cool before you work on any aspect of its engine. When you are ready to change the oil, jack the car up on a flat surface and lay a tarp or cover down underneath to protect it from splashes.

Now, you’ll need to pop the hood and unscrew the oil fill cap. If you are confused as to where this is, most owner’s manuals keep a labeled diagram of the engine inside. At the bottom of the oil pan, you will find the oil plug. This can be loosened with a socket wrench. Lay an oil drain pan underneath the oil plug to catch the drainage. Now, you can fully unscrew the oil plug and let it drain. It is ok to let it fall in with the oil drainage, especially if the oil is warm or hot.

After a few minutes, the oil should be fully drained. Once it is fully drained, you can replace the drain plug. You will need to spread a thin layer of oil along the rubber gasket to protect and lubricate the new filter. Then, you will fill it 75% full with new oil and screw it into place.

Now, you can replace the oil plug and refill the oil. Make sure that you don’t overfill the engine. After this is complete, you can replace the oil fill cap. In order to test your oil, let the car run for 5-10 minutes. Check for leaks and look at the dipstick to make sure the level is still correct.

To dispose of your oil, put it in an empty bottle and take it to a gas station. Most have facilities built to dispose of oil safely. Then, you are all set to continue driving.

Engine Coolant/Antifreeze

Every so often, it is necessary to refill the engine coolant and antifreeze in your car. Most modern cars have these fluids as a two in one, making maintenance significantly easier for the car owner. Your car will most likely send you an alert when your coolant is low, which will be your sign to refill it.

The first step is to check the owner’s manual for what kind of coolant and antifreeze you will need. Most will require you to mix it at a certain ratio with distilled water. The coolant and antifreeze can be found at your local auto repair shop or some gas stations and distilled water can be found at your local grocery store.

When you are ready to refill, park on a flat surface so the liquid level readings will be accurate. Let your car cool and pop the hood. Locate the coolant and antifreeze container.

You will want to lay some junk towels around the container, as coolant and antifreeze are harsh chemicals. Use PPE such as gloves and glasses or goggles during this process. Mix the antifreeze and coolant with the distilled water in a measuring cup to ensure the proper ratios.

Open the container and slowly pour the mixture until you are in the upper limits of the safe range. Rescrew the container and lower the hood. Then, you are all set to continue driving.

Windshield Wiper Fluid

This is arguably the easiest aspect of maintenance. It is incredibly easy to tell when your car is out of fluid. If you attempt to release the fluid and are met with a dry, straining sound and no liquid, you are out of fluid.

The owner’s manual will tell you if there is any specific wiper fluid to use, but most cars will take a generic one found at a gas station or auto repair shop. When you are ready to fill, pop the hood and locate the wiper fluid container. Open carefully and slowly pour in the fluid until it is full.

Again, car maintenance is important to ensure your vehicle is still in prime condition and is safe to operate. Taking care of your car allows your car to last longer and prevent more costly repairs as well, saving you a decent sum of money in the future.