SGA News

Lots of exciting events are coming up at MIA!
MIA students and staff show their school spirit at the recent pep rally.
Karina Baldwin

Marco Island Academy’s Student Government Association has been working tirelessly to plan some exciting upcoming events. The students involved are currently organizing a winter pep-rally and spirit week, the annual Christmas street parade, Waffle Wednesdays, and the Sadie Hawkins Dance. 

Members are in the process of devising fun games and spirit days for students to enjoy during the week of February 12th-16th, and get them excited for the dance later that week.

MIA students and staff show their school spirit at the recent pep rally. (Karina Baldwin)

SGA is working alongside the MIA Theater Department and Interact to design and decorate the school’s parade float and to gather volunteers to participate in the Holiday Street Parade on Saturday, December 9th.

Students gather on the Christmas float during Marco Island’s annual celebrations. (Karina Baldwin)

The next Waffle Wednesday, a favorite among students, is fast approaching. SGA members will be working hard in the Manta Ray Cafe on the morning of November 8th, where waffles will be available from 7:45 AM to the beginning of mentoring. Students are able to purchase a plain waffle, or select from a variety of toppings, and juice with prices starting as low as $1. This event occurs on a monthly basis, so stay tuned for the date of December’s Waffle Wednesday!

Two SGA club members prepare to help the school start the morning off right. (Karina Baldwin)

Further down the road is the Sadie Hawkins Dance which will be held on Friday, February 16th. The SGA committee for Sadie’s is working on finding a new theme in order to mix it up from last year’s theme, Cowboy Take Me Away. This dance allows students to gather in the school gymnasium and dance the night away with a more casual atmosphere. 

The hoedown-themed dance had a nice turnout of line dancers. (Karina)

If interested in helping organize any these events, students should stop by Mrs. Walther’s classroom on Tuesday mornings at 7:45 AM, and join one of these hard working committees.