On the Beat

Sandra Martinez

More stories from Sandra Martinez

Tarte Shape Tape
November 29, 2017
Back to Article
Back to Article

On the Beat

Sgt. Haueter of the MIPD.

Sgt. Haueter of the MIPD.

Sgt. Haueter of the MIPD.

Sgt. Haueter of the MIPD.

Spread the love

Marco Island Police are still searching for a man who allegedly attempted to lure a twelve year old girl into a car.  

The suspect, an approximately 50 year old male with a thin build, grey hair, and beard, approached the victim in his tan four door vehicle on October 18th, 2017 at approximately 3pm.  The victim ran and hid after the suspect allegedly yelled at her for rebuking his advances.     

“As for preventing situations like this, not much can be done, there is no real way of stopping people who prey on young children as there is way of knowing who it is” said MIPD Sergeant Haueter. All children in the elementary school’s fifth grade are taught D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), a program that specializes in mechanisms for children to protect themselves in a variety of dangerous situations.  In addition, Sergeant Haueter explained that there are “some community watch programs as well as crossing guards after school, but nothing in specific to watch for people like this.”

The MIPD has followed up and searched for people and vehicles who seem to match the description, but have found nothing thus far. The police implore that anyone call even if they think they see something suspicious, or as Sergeant Haueter said “to not feel silly!” When this situation occurred police were not informed until seventeen hours later making it more difficult to find the lurker.

Attempting to lure a child into a car is considered an attempt to kidnap, and kidnapping is a felony with a sentence with a minimum of twenty years. Although D.A.R.E informs students they cannot really say what can happens if they are kidnapped but tell them to assume the worst.

Residents are urged to contact the MIPD at (239) 389-5050 if they have any information on this case or if they need to speak with authorities. in case of emergency, dial 911.

Sandra Martinez, Staff Writer

Sandra Martinez is a seventeen-year-old senior at Marco Island Academy. She has her own section for editorials in the school newspaper called The Wave...