• May 30Have a safe, productive, and fun summer...GOOOO RAYS!
  • May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Recipients Collette Combs, Gordon Davis, Daniel Heekin, Thomas Heekin, Austin Hendrick, Makayla Hendrick, Isabella Kakaty, Piper Noyes, Celine Schauer and Grant Tirrell being congratulated for receiving the Marco Island Woman’s Club Award by presenter Anne Marchetti Marco Island Woman’s Club and MIWC president Sharyn Kampmeyer.
Senior Award Celebration
Lauren Riley, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

On Tuesday May 21, Marco Island Academy held their annual Senior Award Celebration in the MIA gym for the Class of 2024. This event highlighted...

Rays Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Ray's Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Cassie Letendre, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Skylar Siems, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Photo credits to Brian McGowan via  Unsplash under the Unsplash license.
Disney's Moana - A Movie Review
Addison O, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

The popular Disney film, “Moana” which came out on November 23rd, 2016, will always be one of my personal favorites. This film is set in...

Photo credits to Bethesda Softworks, LLC via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons license.
Fallout - A TV Show Review
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

In the past, video games being turned into movies and TV shows had never really worked out. However, video games turning into movies or shows...

Little Hickory Bay Boating Accident

Photo credit to Josh Withers via Unsplash under Unsplash License. A boating accident in Little Hickory Bay has left 2 people dead.

The importance of boater safety is continually underscored by tragic incidents. On Friday, March 15th, a boating mishap occurred involving John Moulder from Naples and Judy Eaton of Bonita Springs. Both individuals, aged 71, had been in a relationship for just over a year.

Reports indicate that a woman lost her life following an accident where she and a man were ejected from their boat in an area of the bay known colloquially as “Dead Man’s Curve.” Local residents have witnessed multiple boating accidents at this particular location, attributed to the challenging navigation amid the mangroves. The tight turns and blind corners make it precarious for two boats approaching each other to maneuver without collision or veering into the mangroves.

Wink News interviewed Greg DeWitt, Fire Chief of the Bonita Springs Fire Control & Rescue Districts, who emphasized the paramount importance of boater safety. He stressed the significance of understanding the waters, identifying areas where speed should be moderated, and navigating blind curves cautiously.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Judy tragically passed away when their boat collided with mangrove trees in Little Hickory Bay, Collier County. John succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. The crash is currently under investigation by the FWC.

The couple’s vessel was the sole one involved in the accident, though the area is notorious among boaters for its hazards. Signage marking the danger had been lost during Hurricane Ian in September 2022, leaving boaters relying solely on their knowledge of the area. Kevin Price, a local boater, remarked, “Sadly, I was not surprised. I had a conversation with another friend recently about this turn specifically, and some of the close calls I’ve seen at this spot.”

While boats are equipped with various safety features aimed at preventing such accidents, including speed control, knowledge of waterways, and awareness of blind spots, personal precautions are equally vital. Boaters should always remain cognizant of their location, wear life vests as mandated by Florida law, and ensure the use of a kill switch. Chief DeWitt highlighted the importance of the kill switch, which automatically stops the boat’s motor if the operator becomes incapacitated or falls overboard.

Despite the inconvenience, adherence to safety measures such as wearing life jackets and employing kill switches can be life-saving. In the absence of traffic lights or turn signals, heightened awareness of one’s surroundings is indispensable for safe boating.