MIA Committed - Austin Hendrick
MIA Committed - Austin Hendrick
May 3, 2024

May 3, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, May 3rd, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

With prom on the horizon, here are the top fashion predictions for this year. Photo credit to Todd Cravens via Unsplash under Unsplash License
Top 6 Fashion Trend Predictions For Prom 2024
Collette Combs, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024

Prom is just around the corner and everyone is wondering what trends to expect to see on the dance floor. So I’m here to tell you what dresses,...

MIA Committed - Chase Polley
MIA Committed - Chase Polley
May 2, 2024

May 2, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Thursday, May 2nd, 2024, and these are your morning announcements! General...

Little Hickory Bay Boating Accident

Photo credit to Josh Withers via Unsplash under Unsplash License. A boating accident in Little Hickory Bay has left 2 people dead.

The importance of boater safety is continually underscored by tragic incidents. On Friday, March 15th, a boating mishap occurred involving John Moulder from Naples and Judy Eaton of Bonita Springs. Both individuals, aged 71, had been in a relationship for just over a year.

Reports indicate that a woman lost her life following an accident where she and a man were ejected from their boat in an area of the bay known colloquially as “Dead Man’s Curve.” Local residents have witnessed multiple boating accidents at this particular location, attributed to the challenging navigation amid the mangroves. The tight turns and blind corners make it precarious for two boats approaching each other to maneuver without collision or veering into the mangroves.

Wink News interviewed Greg DeWitt, Fire Chief of the Bonita Springs Fire Control & Rescue Districts, who emphasized the paramount importance of boater safety. He stressed the significance of understanding the waters, identifying areas where speed should be moderated, and navigating blind curves cautiously.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Judy tragically passed away when their boat collided with mangrove trees in Little Hickory Bay, Collier County. John succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. The crash is currently under investigation by the FWC.

The couple’s vessel was the sole one involved in the accident, though the area is notorious among boaters for its hazards. Signage marking the danger had been lost during Hurricane Ian in September 2022, leaving boaters relying solely on their knowledge of the area. Kevin Price, a local boater, remarked, “Sadly, I was not surprised. I had a conversation with another friend recently about this turn specifically, and some of the close calls I’ve seen at this spot.”

While boats are equipped with various safety features aimed at preventing such accidents, including speed control, knowledge of waterways, and awareness of blind spots, personal precautions are equally vital. Boaters should always remain cognizant of their location, wear life vests as mandated by Florida law, and ensure the use of a kill switch. Chief DeWitt highlighted the importance of the kill switch, which automatically stops the boat’s motor if the operator becomes incapacitated or falls overboard.

Despite the inconvenience, adherence to safety measures such as wearing life jackets and employing kill switches can be life-saving. In the absence of traffic lights or turn signals, heightened awareness of one’s surroundings is indispensable for safe boating.