The full cast promo shot for MIAs production of Little Shop of Horrors. Photo Credit to Chris Dayett
A Look Behind the Curtain: The Production of a Musical
Logan Yarnell, News Editor • April 19, 2024

Musicals are a much-loved part of arts all around the world. From the Broadway stages in New York to small school auditoriums, ever since the...

Photo credit to Laura Chouette via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
The role of social media influencers in the world of marketing continues to grow.
The Rise of Social Media Influencers in Marketing
Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Recently social media influencers have emerged into the marketing world. With large followings many social media influencers have found a way...

Photo credit to Anthony Delanoix via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
In an era succeeding a global pandemic, how have festivals and concerts adjusted?
Exploring Music Festivals In A Post-Pandemic Era
Skylar Siems, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, musical festivals have undergone significant changes. Understandably, the pandemic has impacted nearly...

Photo credit to 
Rivage via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
There has been a recent surge in the popularity of retro gaming consoles.
The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games In 1952, Cambridge professor Sandy Douglas released...

Photo credit to Sandro Schuh via Unsplash under Unsplash License. 
The mental health of athletes is a subject commonly overlooked.
Unveiling the Relationship Between Mental Health and Sports
Addison O, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Athletes confront a myriad of mental health challenges, ranging from anxiety and depression to eating disorders and substance abuse, largely...

Arrest Leaves St. Petersburg Man Paralyzed

Photo+credit+to+Ian+Taylor%0A+via+Unsplash+under+Unsplash+License++A+recent+arrest+has+left+a+Floridian+man+severely+debilitated.+
Photo credit to Ian Taylor via Unsplash under Unsplash License A recent arrest has left a Floridian man severely debilitated.

A St. Petersburg man by the name of Heriberto Sanchez-Mayen has recently filed a lawsuit against the city of St. Petersburg and two police officers as a result of poor treatment during an arrest. Sanchez-Mayen was woken on June 8th by officer Sarah Gaddis in a grass field. Sanchez-Mayen told the officer that he had fallen asleep in the lot on account of homelessness and asked Gaddis if she was going to write him a ticket, as she told him he was trespassing.

Gaddis responded with an affirmative originally, before changing her mind and deciding to arrest Sanchez-Mayen. Officer Micheal Thacker was called as backup for the arrest. According to body cam footage, the two officers loaded Sanchez-Mayen into the back of the police van and restrained him with handcuffs and a belly chain.

The poor treatment occurred in how Thacker allegedly drove “in a reckless manner and at an unsafe rate of speed”. This resulted in Sanchez-Mayen being thrown around in the backseat with no seat belts for safety. Thacker then braked hard for a red light, which caused Sanchez-Mayen to be thrown into the metal partition dividing the officers from the back. 

Upon arriving at the Pinellas County jail, the officers attempted to wake Sanchez-Mayen before realizing he was unresponsive. Further efforts were made to rouse him but to no avail; the officers dragged his body out of the van, during which he suffered head trauma from the door, the bumper, and the concrete floor.

Sanchez-Mayen was told the incident left him as a quadriplegic due to a spinal cord injury and in need of a double leg amputation above the knee. He is now suing Officer Gaddis for malicious prosecution and false arrest, as the trespassing charges were dropped. He is also suing Officer Thacker for intentional battery and excessive force and the city for poor training.