Photo credit to Laura Chouette via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
The role of social media influencers in the world of marketing continues to grow.
The Rise of Social Media Influencers in Marketing
Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Recently social media influencers have emerged into the marketing world. With large followings many social media influencers have found a way...

Photo credit to Anthony Delanoix via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
In an era succeeding a global pandemic, how have festivals and concerts adjusted?
Exploring Music Festivals In A Post-Pandemic Era
Skylar Siems, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, musical festivals have undergone significant changes. Understandably, the pandemic has impacted nearly...

Photo credit to 
Rivage via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
There has been a recent surge in the popularity of retro gaming consoles.
The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games In 1952, Cambridge professor Sandy Douglas released...

Photo credit to Sandro Schuh via Unsplash under Unsplash License. 
The mental health of athletes is a subject commonly overlooked.
Unveiling the Relationship Between Mental Health and Sports
Addison O, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Athletes confront a myriad of mental health challenges, ranging from anxiety and depression to eating disorders and substance abuse, largely...

First Week of MIA’s Girls Lacrosse

The first official week of MIA’s Girls Lacrosse team has been completed. This is the first year that Marco Island Academy has had a girl’s lacrosse team.

With it being the first year the school has had a girl’s team,  many athletes have given the sport a try. 

Already so much support and enthusiasm has been shown for the new team. Team dinners, goodie bags, and spirit wear have already come into the conversation as support grows.

The offense races toward the ball in an attempt to take possession. (Emma Nash )

Head Coach Kyle Ginther shared his thoughts early in the season, “I think the thing that I am most looking forward to is seeing how much better we get as the season goes on. The steps we have made so far are cool, and that was just a single week.”

Practices consist of Monday through Thursday after school 3:45- 5:45. 

The first week of practice had focused on the fundamentals. Skills like cradling, catching, and shooting, were emphasized. As the second week continues to progress, focus on shooting and specific positions have been implemented, along with continuing to build a strong team bond.

Jessica Vorderstrasse throws a shot past a defender towards the goal. (Emma Nash)

Coach Ginther and Coach Wood also apply cardio and team strength training. Running and core conditioning are regular practice activities. It allows the girls to not only get in shape for the season but also opens their eyes up to the fact that they are stronger than they think, building confidence.

“I think the most important part about being a part of the lacrosse team is to understand that we will make mistakes, but not to dwell on them and take each as an opportunity to learn and lift each other”, Ginther said.   

The Lady Ray’s first game is on February 13th at Estero High School at 6 pm. Come out and support!