Which Water Bottle Are You?
Which Water Bottle Are You?
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

What musical are you? Take this quiz to find out!
What Musical Are You?
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Season Are You?
Which Season Are You?
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Gemstone Are You?
Which Gemstone Are You?
Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 2/23/24
February 23, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, February 23rd, 2024,  and these are your morning announcements!...

What You Wish They Taught: Sewing

Everyone struggles with growing up, but some everyday tasks are harder than others.
Elle Richardson

Sewing is often viewed as a ‘Grandma’ hobby. No one is saying you have to be on the next “Project Runway”, but it is important to know how to fix a torn cuff or replace a button. 

1. Find the right color button/thread. If you can’t find one close enough, then you should find one similar. For example, a white thread could be used instead of a light tan one. Keeping the color similar is important to make sure that the fix isn’t that noticeable.
  2. Thread the needle. This is not an easy task, but making sure the end of the thread is even is key.
  3. Keep the stitches similar. The length and angle of the thread should stay relatively the same to keep the fix neat and inconspicuous. If you are sewing on a button, try and keep the punctures underneath where the button will cover.
  4. Sew straight. Follow the natural folds of the fabric to avoid it from bunching awkwardly.
  5. Tie off the thread. This way the stitches don’t come loose. Both ends of the thread should end up knotted.