Photo credit to Laura Chouette via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
The role of social media influencers in the world of marketing continues to grow.
The Rise of Social Media Influencers in Marketing
Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Recently social media influencers have emerged into the marketing world. With large followings many social media influencers have found a way...

Photo credit to Anthony Delanoix via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
In an era succeeding a global pandemic, how have festivals and concerts adjusted?
Exploring Music Festivals In A Post-Pandemic Era
Skylar Siems, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, musical festivals have undergone significant changes. Understandably, the pandemic has impacted nearly...

Photo credit to 
Rivage via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
There has been a recent surge in the popularity of retro gaming consoles.
The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

The Resurgence of Retro Gaming: Exploring the Appeal of Vintage Consoles and Classic Games In 1952, Cambridge professor Sandy Douglas released...

Photo credit to Sandro Schuh via Unsplash under Unsplash License. 
The mental health of athletes is a subject commonly overlooked.
Unveiling the Relationship Between Mental Health and Sports
Addison O, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Athletes confront a myriad of mental health challenges, ranging from anxiety and depression to eating disorders and substance abuse, largely...

One Snap and it’s Gone

Florida lawmakers propose bill that would ban social medial for all under the age of 16.
Logan Yarnell

Starting the 2024 year, Florida lawmakers have already proposed a bill that would ban the usage of social media platforms for minors under the age of 16 in the state. Florida HB1 of 2024, filed on January 5th, seeks to heavily restrict the use of social media platforms for teens, like TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, and more. The bill is slated to take effect on July 1, 2024, but has not been fully passed as of January 22nd.

Not much has officially come of the bill so far, but it was added to the Special Order Calendar to be reviewed on January 23rd.

This would ban the creation of social media accounts by anyone under the age of 16, and force those who have social media accounts to delete them. This would be a major letdown for people in this age range and would likely spark a considerable amount of backlash.

The bill is being supported by many in the Florida House of Representatives. While it still has not been passed, it seems as if the bill will pass fairly quickly in 2024.

Florida has been heavy on social media usage in recent years, as they banned the use of certain social media platforms in schools and other government regulated facilities. Governor DeSantis has shown support for this restriction in the state, and will likely continue to do so throughout his term. 

Even though these platforms are restricted to the ages of 13+ in most cases, the state still seeks to restrict them further for its citizens. Although this is hard to enforce, the bill proposes a thorough verification process that would confirm if the person making or running the account is over the age of 16. There are methods already in place for the 13+ regulations that the apps have, but they are hardly reliable.