Which Water Bottle Are You?
Which Water Bottle Are You?
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

What musical are you? Take this quiz to find out!
What Musical Are You?
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Season Are You?
Which Season Are You?
Cade Scarnavack, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Which Gemstone Are You?
Which Gemstone Are You?
Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

morning-anouncements-art-club-a-frog-and-toadrt-club
Morning Announcements - 2/23/24
February 23, 2024

Announcements   Good morning Marco Island Academy, today is Friday, February 23rd, 2024,  and these are your morning announcements!...

Florida Sports Injuries Increase

Medney Garraux
Injuries in Florida sports are rapidly rising due to intensity and competitiveness.

Injuries frequently occur during sports. However, the injuries in the state of Florida have increased incredibly. In 2023, Florida is experiencing an alarming increase in sports-related injuries, indicating a potential catastrophe in the state’s athletic community. Injuries have become an increasing problem in all sports, from professional leagues to recreational activities, catching the attention of both sports fans and healthcare professionals. One factor contributing to this increase is an increase in outdoor activities due to the state’s pleasant environment, which creates more potential for accidents.

Furthermore, the intensity and competitiveness of sporting events have increased, putting more strain on athletes’ bodies.  Insufficient safety precautions and a lack of knowledge about accident prevention are intensifying the situation. According to Zarameski, The associate professor of UF Health Research,” Zaremski believes a major reason might be the quest for increased pitching velocity in the past decade, which puts more stress and torque on young arms, particularly the elbow.”

The rising frequency of sports injuries in Florida in 2023 has taken a toll on the state’s total mortality rates, creating serious concerns about the serious implications of athletic activities. As the incidence and severity of sports-related injuries continue to rise, so has the number of fatalities directly tied to these accidents. Tragically, what appears to be a minor sports injury can quickly deteriorate into a life-threatening condition, especially when factors such as delayed medical response or underlying health issues are present. Tyler Erickson, 17, was a senior at Holmes County High School in Bonifay, Florida. On September 12, 2022, Tyler was practicing for a golf tournament when suddenly he was found dead on the course. Doctors say the cause of his death may have been a heart attack or blood clot.

The consequences of these tragedies transcend beyond the immediate loss of life, affecting families, communities, and Florida’s greater sports culture. This concerning trend highlights the critical need for extensive reforms in sports safety regulations, enhanced emergency response systems, and expanded public awareness campaigns to reduce the catastrophic impact of sports-related injuries on mortality rates throughout the state. According to Stanford Medicine, “More than 3.5 million children ages 14 and younger get hurt annually playing sports or participating in recreational activities. Although death from a sports injury is rare, the leading cause of death from a sports-related injury is a brain injury.” The lack of thought that is put into sports increases a higher probability of injuries that have a chance to end in death.