Addison O, Staff Writer • May 13, 2024

With nesting season returning this month, its important to keep our turtles safe. Photo credit to Giorgia Doglioni
 via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Protecting Turtles During Nesting Season
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

It’s the beginning of May, and with May comes these beautiful creatures from the sea. It’s the beginning of nesting season for loggerhead...

Tesla is one of the most popular electronic vehicle companies in the world. Photo credit to Austin Ramsey via Unsplash under Unsplash License.
Employee’s Recent Battle with Tesla Layoffs
Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

In recent weeks, Tesla began laying off large numbers of their employees. The employees were fired from various positions within the company...

The crowd at the Marco Island Jammin in the Park festival.
MIA Students Jammin' in the Park
Elle Richardson and Logan YarnellMay 10, 2024

On May 3rd, 2024, the MIA Academy of Rock opened the Jammin’ In The Park concert at Marco Island’s Veteran’s Park. The concert was a free...

Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

Dress Code at MIA Grabs Students’ Attention

Photo via Unsplash under Unsplash License Dress code in schools has caused some concern among students.

Dress codes are a significant aspect of every student’s or employee’s life. For many, it’s a customary part of their daily routine: waking up, donning their uniform, and heading out the door. However, for others, it’s an inconvenience and an imposition on their sense of self-expression. In a recent poll, students at MIA were asked to share their opinions on the topic of dress codes.

When asked about the necessity of dress codes, 62% of students answered ‘no,’ while only 38% said ‘yes.’ This data indicates that a majority of students do not see a need for dress codes, whether because they value personal expression through clothing, feel that dress codes are overly restrictive, or perceive them as ineffective in achieving their intended purpose. Similar results emerged when students were questioned about whether dress codes restrict self-expression, with 63% answering ‘yes’ and 37% responding ‘no.’ This suggests that many students find dress codes constraining. Surprisingly, despite the widespread dislike of dress codes, only 8.7% of students reported being dress-coded regularly.

Another contentious issue is the gender disparity in dress codes. The debate about sexism in dress codes has persisted for years. Are girls and women subjected to more restrictions than boys and men? If so, why? An alarming 85.9% of surveyed students feel that dress codes focus more on girls than on boys. This data does not provide specific reasons or explanations for this perception, but many believe it may be related to restrictions on skirt length, shoulder exposure, or other clothing items traditionally associated with female attire.

Interestingly, while students may not be fond of the idea of dress codes in schools, 71.7% said there should be dress codes in the workplace, and 60.9% said there should be dress codes in religious institutions. This suggests that students recognize a distinct difference between a professional setting and an educational environment. Support for workplace dress codes could be justified by the belief that professional attire is essential for creating a business-like and respectful atmosphere or conveying a certain image to clients and coworkers. A majority of students also believe there should be dress codes in religious institutions, indicating that people acknowledge the significance of certain dress codes when participating in religious activities or attending religious places.

The one question that received almost unanimous agreement was whether dress codes should be more strictly enforced in schools, with a staggering 92.4% saying ‘no,’ while only 7.6% said ‘yes.’ This reflects students’ desire for a balance between personal expression and maintaining a respectful and professional environment.

The topic of dress codes elicits a wide range of opinions. The results of this MIA poll demonstrate that most students do not favor dress codes in schools. They perceive dress codes as limitations on personal self-expression, often viewing them as restrictive and, in some cases, biased, particularly against girls and women. Ultimately, the discussion of dress codes is far from settled. With the use of students’ voices and their opinions, hopefully, one-day dress codes won’t play such a prominent role in the lives of the majority.