• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • May 16, 2024

Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 15, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

How Florida Students Feel about Recent Social Media Ban

Photo via Unsplash under Unsplash License A person scrolls through social media while working on their laptop.

Over the past few years, rules have become increasingly harsh in Florida schools. Recently, Governor Ron DeSantis has been pushing the schools in Florida to follow a new legislation – no cell phones, no headphones, and in a recent addition, no social media. In the past, students were permitted to go on social media between classes and at lunch, but now students have to put up their phones and are not allowed to use social media platforms anymore.  

In light of this alteration, many students around the school have been asked about this new rule. While some students expressed disapproval, others didn’t seem to mind the new restriction. However, one student in particular, Piper Noyes, explained the new rules impact on her unique role in the school. Piper said, “I think it’s really inconvenient, because certain jobs such as the yearbook, which I’m the Editor-in chief of, need to get on social media platforms for my job, but in school it’s banned.”

On the other hand, students who don’t seem to be as affected by this issue were interviewed as well. Ryan Sweeney, a senior, mentioned, “I wasn’t affected by this ban whatsoever. I know that people are mad about this, but I don’t really use my phone or social media in school.” Several other students mentioned similar stances, such as Maximo Walters and Grayson Jones. Maximo said “It doesn’t affect me at all, but in photography I wish that I could go on my phone and take pictures without an issue.” Grayson Jones, another senior, said, “I don’t really use social media in school. School is the place where you can learn and enjoy the subject that you chose, and not on social media.” 

The main concern mentioned by students is that they have very limited say in this new rule. It seems that students can either not follow directions and take the consequences, or simply comply. Students have expressed the feeling that there’s no middle ground to this rule, and that they often feel a lack of support and recognition regarding their own opinions. Many feel that they are the ones who have to be at school to learn and absorb all the teaching, and in return need a break in between school times to relax and unwind. 

While social media can be taken advantage of, students could be easily taught how to use it appropriately in school settings, and many believe that schools shouldn’t require a rule to regulate its use. Given the alterations from last school year to this school year, students continue to wonder what other changes could be made in the future.