• May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Nicole Garcia-Pantoja, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

Jenna Golec, Staff Writer • May 16, 2024

Kacie Swanson, Staff Writer • May 15, 2024

Collette Combs, Staff Writer • May 14, 2024

If You Had To Pick A Crazy Color To Dye Your Hair, What Would It Be?

Teacher Feature: Mrs. Schafer

Andres Rodriguez
Mrs. Schafer is the newest addition to the English department here at MIA.

Whether you’ve passed by her office or seen her around the school, be sure to welcome our newest English teacher, Mrs. Schafer!

Having grown up in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, Mrs. Schafer graduated high school in 1997, where she spent much of her time in competitive horseback riding. After high school, she attended DeSales University, receiving a bachelor’s degree in English and Secondary Education. She graduated in 2000 and then attended Wilkes University, receiving her master’s in education. 

Upon completing college, Mrs. Schafer began teaching high school English in Pennsylvania. She taught there for 20 years before moving to Florida in 2021. Just last year, she taught middle school at St. Annes but wanted to return to high school. She had been interested in MIA since she moved to Florida, and coming here allowed her to teach high school again. 

In addition to teaching English 2, English 3, and English 3 Honors, Mrs. Schafer is also teaching AICE Language for the first time next semester. When asked about her teaching style, Mrs. Schafer mentioned what Miss Scott had told her about the classrooms at MIA. “She wants us to maintain a calm, positive, predictable, comfortable environment,” Mrs. Schafer said. “I feel like when I heard that, I said ‘that’s me’ because it represents how I like to teach.”

When it comes to teaching, Mrs. Schafer’s favorite thing is helping students to succeed. She wants them to overcome their difficulties and improve. She aims to “make today better than yesterday” and become a better teacher with each new day.

Mrs. Schafer’s biggest inspiration to become a teacher was her senior English teacher. “I feel like she’s the same way I am,” Mrs. Schafer said. “We had fun in her class…but she also had high standards, which I liked about her…she inspired me to be a teacher and have the same classroom environment.” She also likes to connect with students on a personal level, whether it be through conversation or fun activities. 

In her free time, Mrs. Schafer likes to ride her bike, read and cook. More recently, though, she has taken up playing golf. She also likes volleyball and would like to visit some of the MIA games. She’s also interested in the theatre program. 

Mrs. Schafer will be a great addition to the English department, and we are thrilled to welcome her to MIA.