Oh the Places You’ll Go!

Jasmin Schauer, Staff Writer

One of the missions for the newspaper and yearbook of Marco Island Academy is to document our journeys. One of the ways we can do this is by taking pictures of the places we explore, the tournaments we attend, and volunteer activities we take part in.  For high school students, it is important to make memories because the moments pass quickly, but memories will last for years to come.

In order for the students of MIA to document the memories, we borrowed a unique idea from a small town in Germany. The mayor initiated a photo contest where the children in the town received a beach ball, and needed to take it on their travels during their summer break. This was started in order for the schools to see where the kids went, and what they learned during their travels.

Instead of a beach ball, we would like to introduce Mel the Manta Ray.  Every journey has a starting point, and Mel’s first was an October 20th visit to Winterberry Field where MIA defeated Gateway Charter 32-6.  Just this week, Mel was witness to the stresses has of deadlines that come with publishing a newspaper and a yearbook.

Documenting our memories with Mel will help us remember our various adventures as a school and as individuals. We encourage students to pick up Mel in Room 104 and take the Ray with you on your journeys.  The only thing we ask is that you document your journey with a photo and a caption that will be featured in our digital newspaper.  These memories will leave behind an important legacy, showing future students of MIA what our students have done, and where they have been.