Teacher Feature: Mrs. Pearce

MIA’s new Math teacher, Mrs. Pearce.

Mrs. Pearce is a math teacher at MIA who is committed to making a difference in the lives of her students. She describes her teaching style as “foundationally built on mutual respect.” 

“My students are the future of this county and they are the only ones that matter in my classroom…  All my students work together, form a community and learn from each other on a daily basis. “

Her pledge to foster her students beyond academics shines brightly through her love of coaching coaching, both in sports (including softball and volleyball), and in life “I am not just a math teacher I am here to help you make a difference however that looks to the student.” She was initially drawn to work at MIA because of Mrs. Scott and the rest of the MIA family.  “I’m not sure I can say that I’ve ever had the privilege of working with so many individuals who truly care about kids.”

When asked about the multi-hour long drive she makes every day to teach here, Mrs. Pearce didn’t seem to mind. “The drive gives me a chance to think through my day and the different strategies that I will use to reach kids.”

Born in the Midwest, Mrs. Pearce began teaching in Davenport, Iowa. She has earned 6 degrees, Business, Accounting, Associate of Arts , Education, Mathematics, and  Curriculum and Instruction degrees from Saint Ambrose University and Concordia University. A math teacher for 12 years, she believes that her desire to become a math teacher stems from being a business owner and working with young adults.“My love for this age of human and my desire to make a difference escalated my desire to become a teacher.”

“My love for this age of human and my desire to make a difference escalated my desire to become a teacher.

— Mrs. Pearce

Outside of school, Mrs. Pearce has a strong commitment to family. She and her wife of 15 years share a large family of 5 children. Evidently influenced by Mrs. Pearce’s education record, she has 3 boys and  2 girls who have all either graduated or are in college. 

“Our two older daughters are nurses, two of our sons are in the Military and one just graduated from high school.”

She has also housed two foreign exchange students from Europe and Russia and has one grandson with one on the way.  Although to Mrs. Pearce, her family also includes each and every one of her students, even after they step out of the classroom.

“Family is the foundation of our country and my family reaches far and wide.  I consider every student a part of my family and will keep a firm eye on them until I am gone from this earth.”

When not coaching or teaching, Mrs. Pearce’s personal hobbies include reading, golfing, and fishing. She also has two dogs who “keep us pretty busy whenever there is downtime in the home. “

Mrs. Pearce’s dedication to her students and passion for making a difference certainly matches the MIA spirit, and we are excited to have her as one of the newest members of the math team.