Marco Island Academy’s Top 10 Sports Moments (’21-’22)

May 23, 2022

1. ) Senior Night for volleyball at home & Senior Night for volleyball at Lely

The varsity volleyball girls celebrate their final winning point against the Lely Trojans. (Yessenia Martinez)

On September 29th, 2021, Marco Island Academy’s Volleyball Senior Night was held for the first time in the new Rene and Tish Champagne Gym. Though we lost the first set, the Manta Rays came back in the following sets. Going into the fourth set at 2-1, the Manta Rays won with the closest score; 25-23. Against Lely High School’s volleyball team, the Manta Rays won 3-1 against the Trojans.

On October 13th, 2021, the Manta Rays traveled to Lely High School’s gymnasium for their Senior Night. With a 24-24 tie in the first set, the final moments were tense as the crowds waited to see who would win the set. The Manta Rays bested the Trojans 26-24. Following the first set were consecutive straight-winning sets of 25-15 and 25-19. The Manta Rays had once again beat the Trojans.

Senior Camryn Rose celebrates her 1,000+ kills in her High School Volleyball career. (Yessenia Martinez)

2.) Camryn Rose gets her 1,000th career kill

On September 2nd, 2021, Marco Island Academy Senior Camryn Rose made career history. For the 1,000th time, Camryn made her jump and scored the kill for the Manta Rays against Everglades City.

3.) Girls’ varsity volleyball wins their 4th consecutive PCAC Championship

The varsity volleyball girls score another PCAC Championship trophy. (Yessenia Martinez)

For their fourth year in a row, the Marco Island Academy girls varsity volleyball team won the Paradise Coast Athletic Conference championship against Everglades City.

4.) Girls’ varsity basketball wins in double overtime against Donahue Academy

Sophomore Piper Noyes (#15) looks for an opening on the court. (Yessenia Martinez)

At the Paradise Coast Athletic Conference playoff game, the Marco Island Academy girls varsity basketball team won 40-38 against Donahue Academy in a double-overtime match.

5.) Boys’ varsity soccer beats First Baptist Academy for the first time in school history

Junior Thomas Dickson (#15) keeps the ball under Rays possession. (Yessenia Martinez)

For the first time in Marco Island Academy’s school history, the boy’s varsity soccer team beat First Baptist Academy 9-1 at the first game of the season in Winterberry Park.

6.) Boys’ junior varsity basketball beats Bishop Verot’s junior varsity team for the first time in school history

Team photo of the junior varsity boys basketball team. (Yessenia Martinez)

Marco Island Academy’s junior varsity boy’s basketball team won against Bishop Verot with a score of 49-34 in their first game

of the season.

7.) Girls’ basketball travels to Everglades City and comes from behind to win their 2nd consecutive PCAC Championship

Junior Kathryn Barry (#3) maneuvers around an opponent. (Yessenia Martinez)

Marco Island Academy’s girls basketball team take home the Paradise Coast Athletic Conference Championship for the second year in a row. The girls traveled to Everglades City for the championship game and won 42-33.

8.) Boys’ varsity basketball wins their 3rd consecutive PCAC Championship

The varsity boys basketball team celebrate another successful PCAC Championship win. (Yessenia Martinez)

The Marco Island Academy’s boys varsity basketball team continued their Paradise Coast Athletic Conference winning streak against Donahue Academy with a score of 59-34.

9.) Boys’ varsity soccer wins their 3rd PCAC Championship

Sophomore Colin Grensing (#16) goes in for a kick. Yessenia Martinez

With a promising start to the season, Marco Island Academy’s boys varsity soccer team paved their way to winning at the Paradise Coast Athletic Conference Championship game against Mason Classical Academy with a score of 5-1.

10.) Boys’ varsity baseball has its first winning record in school history and loses 1-0 in Districts

Sophomore Ryan Sweeney (#7) makes a safe slide. (Virginia Lowe)

For the first time in school history, Marco Island Academy’s boys varsity baseball team pulled out some wins this year as they had their first winning record. Unfortunately, their winning record ended with their loss at the District game 1-0.