Side by Side: Ram v. Ford

Kendall Jacobs

Side by Side: Ram v. Ford

March 26, 2021

With 2020 in the rear-view, it’s time to look ahead to what 2021 has in store for the truck market. With Ram winning MotorTrend’s truck of the year for the past three years, it’s no surprise that the 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman is a great buy for the consumer. In its most basic trim level, the Ram offers many basic luxuries for just under $38,000 MSRP. But how does this compare to the blue oval’s variant? The 2021 Ford F250 XL starts at around $37,000 and offers similar interior and exterior features that the Ram has. Here’s a side-by-side comparison of the two workhorses.

Side by Side: 

Ford

Ford’s F-250 XL

Ford’s F-250 XL

Holding its throne for the past 44 years as America’s Best-Selling Pickup, Ford’s F-Series pickups have made tremendous strides throughout the years. Ranging from the bare-bones XL trim level all the way up to the Lariat or King Ranch, Ford has found ways to build on and continue the ongoing legacy of their Built Ford Tough trucks.

Starting with the lightest of Ford’s SuperDuty lineup, the F-250, these are some of the features consumers receive when they purchase the F-250 XL:

Pumping out 385-horsepower with 430 pound-feet of torque is the 6.2L Flex Fuel V8 engine that’ll give you a healthy 16 miles per gallon average. You’ll be shifting smoothly in the F-250 with Ford’s TorqShift 6-speed automatic transmission that offers a manual option of the shifter as well.

However, you won’t be in a 4×4 pickup unless you opt for the 4×4 option which adds about $2000 to your overall price – still under $40,000 though!

Ford’s F-250 XL

Whether you work in construction or pull around a trailer loaded with lawn-care equipment, this F-250 will pull a trailer smoothly of up to 13,000 pounds. If you don’t pull trailers often, the bed on the F-250 has a max payload rating of just above 4,300 pounds. That’s enough to put all of your construction equipment in the bed – and maybe even more.

Also standard on the F-250 XL is a single cab with an 8-foot bed. There are 8 available paint colors ranging from Oxford White to Race Red. However, Velocity Blue is going to add just under $2,000 to your total.

Now, because this is the XL trim level and not the Lariat or King Ranch, you’ll be getting 17-inch painted steelies with your XL pickup. That’s not the most visually appealing, but it definitely shows that this truck is a workhorse pickup that’s ready for any challenge it may come by.

Ford’s interior
About the Writer
Photo of Jorge Rodriguez
Jorge Rodriguez, Editor-in-Chief

Jorge Rodriguez is a senior at Marco Island Academy and the Editor-in-Chief for The Wave.  He enjoys driving his Ford Bronco and spending time with his...