“In Sickness and In Health”

Abigail Gallup, Editor in Chief

One theme, two days, and endless creativity from Marco Island Academy’s “In Sickness and In Health” Valentine’s Day Bake-off event. This Valentine’s Day program not only featured the work of alumni and Performing Arts Department director, Mr. Christopher Dayett, but also the work of students from student Thespians and Mr. Eder’s photography class. 

Mr. Eder’s class was tasked with writing sonnets and shooting photos that would accompany their written work. Their art can be found here on The Wave

Theatre students were given the same theme, Valentine’s Day, and asked to write a play in under 48 hours. The script had to align with the Valentine’s Day theme and had a limit of three characters. Riley Letendre, an award-winning playwright, was the first featured play included in this program. 

Riley Letendre’s play opening

She said, “I can’t make it a love story” and so she decided to craft a play with “all girls, where they’re all just ranting.”  Her play, a story centered around the 90’s riot girl movement, featured three actresses: Grace Fields, Rachel Weiner, and Isabella Burgos. This play was placed first and offered her a well-deserved spotlight. 

When asked why she writes she said, “I like writing for people,” and “I like seeing people bring my stuff to life.” It’s this clear passion that has won Riley awards and has given her the opportunity to have one of her plays “directed by a professional director.” Riley has no plans to stop writing, she revealed that she just submitted a play to states and hopes for even more recognition. 

Riley Letendre, an award-winning playwright

As the theatre department continues to grow and writers like Riley continue to inspire, the opportunities are truly endless. This program is ever-changing and she said, “going to the meetings is the best way to get information.” 

We are sure Riley and the MIA theatre community will continue to produce award-winning content and we can’t wait to see what’s next. Congratulations to the department for this wonderful program, MIA is proud of its tireless work. 

Valentine’s Day Bake-off program: