• May 30Have a safe, productive, and fun summer...GOOOO RAYS!
  • May 14Fare thee well senior class - thanks for sharing your voice...

Recipients Collette Combs, Gordon Davis, Daniel Heekin, Thomas Heekin, Austin Hendrick, Makayla Hendrick, Isabella Kakaty, Piper Noyes, Celine Schauer and Grant Tirrell being congratulated for receiving the Marco Island Woman’s Club Award by presenter Anne Marchetti Marco Island Woman’s Club and MIWC president Sharyn Kampmeyer.
Senior Award Celebration
Lauren Riley, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

On Tuesday May 21, Marco Island Academy held their annual Senior Award Celebration in the MIA gym for the Class of 2024. This event highlighted...

Rays Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Ray's Reflection - How To Survive Junior Year
Cassie Letendre, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Skylar Siems, Associate Editor • May 30, 2024

Photo credits to Brian McGowan via  Unsplash under the Unsplash license.
Disney's Moana - A Movie Review
Addison O, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

The popular Disney film, “Moana” which came out on November 23rd, 2016, will always be one of my personal favorites. This film is set in...

Photo credits to Bethesda Softworks, LLC via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons license.
Fallout - A TV Show Review
Michael Martinez-Melara, Staff Writer • May 29, 2024

In the past, video games being turned into movies and TV shows had never really worked out. However, video games turning into movies or shows...

New Florida Bill Launches Restricting Civilian Law

Photo credits to Sebastian Pichler via Unsplash under the Unsplash license.

Over the past few months, the Florida House of Representatives has been discussing Bill 601. The bill has gone through many panels, while Florida’s senate has had their first hearing of SB 576, and both bills spark similarity. The bill will remove previously civilian oversight boards that the local government made, and instead this allows county sheriffs to establish their civilians on the oversight board. This reviews the police, procedures of the sheriff’s office, and its subdivisions.

In total, this prohibits a political divide from adopting or attempting to enforce certain ordinances relating to the receipt, processing, or investigation of complaints against law enforcement officers. This bill also revises the base salary for sheriffs; authorizing the Chief of a Municipal police department to establish a civilian oversight board to review the policies and procedures of the Chief’s department and its subdivisions, etc.

Questioning the intentions of this bill, it allows for county sheriffs or police departments to establish their own committees who become the oversight board for that department. However, just with the first part of this bill, there are already issues being raised. With the board being removed and taken away, being replaced by who the police department chooses could lead to some problems.

The main focus of the oversight board is to overview cases of police misconduct and look into the receipt, investigation, and the determination of the complaint of the law enforcement or correctional officer, and additionally determining whether to proceed with the disciplinary action or to file disciplinary action. By replacing these boards with committees established by county sheriffs or police departments, the bill raises alarms about the potential for undue influence and bias.

Furthermore, the bill’s prohibition on political subdivisions from enacting certain commands related to civilian oversight that further restricts local autonomy. Additionally, the bill limits avenues for community input and participation in the management process. By consolidating control within law enforcement agencies, the bill may effectively shield officers from meaningful scrutiny and accountability, exacerbating tensions between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
Another contentious aspect of the bill is its revision of the base salary for sheriffs, which some view as potentially impelling favoritism or nepotism within law enforcement leadership.
In simple terms, Florida’s House Bill 601 is causing a massive controversy in the United States due to its want for change within those who keep an eye on the police. Instead of independent groups, the bill suggests letting the police pick their own supervisors. This worries people because it might not be fair. Plus, the bill stops local communities from making their own rules about police oversight. Critics think this could make it harder to trust the police and make sure they’re doing the right thing. As the debate goes on, it’s important to think about how this could affect trust in the police and how they treat us.