The Breakfast Club

Reef Weber, Staff Writer

Did you know that over 30% of all students come to school without eating any sort of breakfast? Marco Island Academy should provide breakfast for it’s students. Recently, the M.I.A news team took an anonymous poll on the subject, asking students if breakfast should be served in the mornings before school; 80% of all the students that voted said that it would be an amazing idea. Also, according to the Food and Nutrition Service, “Breakfast helps improve school performance, allowing students to do better on tests.” However, not everyone gets to eat a good breakfast before school, some students have to go through their first two blocks hungry. Though the benefit of a healthy breakfast is not only for the student, but for the school as well.

For starters, if students started to become reliant on the school for their breakfast, the number of students who are tardy would reduce, having more incentive to come in early. In addition, if students and parents are hurting for volunteer hours, they could work the Snack Shack so the staff wouldn’t have to.

Elle Paula, who has a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutritional Science, recently wrote an article called “Benefits of Eating Breakfast for Student”.  In her article, she says, “breakfast not only provides important daily nutrients such as protein, fiber, calcium, and carbohydrates, but it also helps improve school performance.” However, without these basic nutrients, the human brain can’t process information at maximum capacity, causing students to not fully retain the information they’re learning in school. In the article, “Side Effects of Not Eating Breakfast” written by Dr. Shavon Jackson-Michel; she states that side effects of not eating a balanced breakfast are loss of concentration, low blood sugar, lowered cognition, and menstrual irregularities.

The students and school have a symbiotic relationship. The more income from breakfast and lunch, the more the school can improve their lunchroom, as well as the menu. Eventually, the school could even install real cookware to produce freshly cooked, nutritious foods, such as eggs, toast, and oatmeal. Also, if the school obtained decent cookware it would also pull more positive attention to the M.I.A. The positive effects of a healthy and hearty school breakfast are endless, not only for the students, but for the school as well! It’s time for the students need to be fed!