Where Are They Now?

Caitlin Moyer – Class of 2020

Liam Sine, Staff Writer

Catlin Moyer is the sister of our very own editor, Madison Moyer. She attended MIA in 2016 and later graduated in 2020. She is now a Junior at the University of Florida and is currently working towards earning her degree in Elementary Education. Caitlin said she decided on UF due to the excellent education program they have. “I have heard nothing but positive things about the Elementary Education program, and I wanted to be a part of it!”, Caitlin stated. Unlike other colleges, Elementary Education majors at UF get the opportunity to spend two years inside the classroom as well as become a teacher’s intern. Caitlin says this experience has been “incredibly valuable” to her. 

When reflecting on her high school experience, Caitlin says the most surprising change for her was how different the schedules were from one another. “I didn’t realize how different my days could look in comparison to the typical high school schedule, so this was something I had to adjust to”, Caitlin claimed. This semester Caitlin has classes Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm with numerous breaks in between. Caitlin also interns at an elementary school in Gainesville twice a week from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. She has worked with numerous grades as well as elementary schools throughout her college experience. She stated, “Since I am both interning and taking college classes, it is crucial for me to keep myself on a schedule/routine. For me, a routine is necessary for me to function and keep my life in line.”

Caitlin shared how she has found it difficult to establish strong relationships with administrators and professors in college. When she was attending MIA, Caitlin was able to talk to her principal, Ms. Scott, about anything. Although, when she came to college, she became lost and often questioned who she should turn to about different questions she had. She stated, “It took me a while to develop a relationship with my professors and administrators which was different than the close relationships I had with my teachers and administrators at MIA.”

Caitlin has shared some advice for current students attending MIA. “My advice for current students is to enjoy high school to the fullest! After high school, it’s way harder to keep in touch with your friends, so I would try and make the most memories now! I would also recommend staying super organized; this is key in college. If I didn’t use my many calendars to keep me organized, I think I would be totally lost. I recommend you try and figure out what works for you when it comes to organization and go from there!”

In her future, Caitlin wishes to obtain a career becoming an Elementary Teacher, hopefully teaching the first grade.