DeSantis Hurts Human Rights

March 17, 2023

The decisions that DeSantis has made to change state legislature have had consequences that extend beyond Florida and influence many different states who have recently taken similar strides to pass similar extreme and restrictive legislation. 

The wellbeing of LGBTQ+ youth & individuals, women, people of color, educators & students, and the majority of Florida has been significantly impacted under the regressive extreme legislation being put into effect under DeSantis’s governing. 

If DeSantis chooses to enter the upcoming presidential election, which is likely, there runs the risk that his governing jurisdiction will increase from just the state of Florida to the rest of the United States, thus spreading the detrimental discriminatory legislature beyond Florida’s state lines, leaving no place to go for those seeking reproductive & other healthcare, or safety in their identities. 

The extent of DeSantis’s recent bills and impact as just governor of Florida should foreshadow the bleak fate of the United States in the event that he chooses to run and is elected. If changes aren’t made to reverse the direction of Florida’s and other states restrictive legislation there will be irreversible consequences.