MSU Mass Shooting

%28Pixabay%29

(Pixabay)

Jonathan Cao, Staff Writer

On February 13th a shooting was reported, a 43 year old black male was shooting inside the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing. The shooter’s name is Anthony McRae, and he killed 3 people and critically injured 5 others. Anthony McRae was later found dead away from the MSU campus, due to a self-inflicted bullet wound. 

The first 911 calls about the shooting started around 8:18 pm. They reported that the shooter was on foot and had moved to different areas around the campus. The shooting finally ended around 12:15 am, police reporting the suspect dead and had no connection to the school at all. 

Alexandria Verner, Arielle Anderson, and Brian Fraser were all later identified as the victims that were shot and killed by the shooter. They were found in the academic hall and the student union building after the shooting. 

Photo via Pixabay under Pixabay License

Alexandria Verner was a junior at Michigan State University. She graduated from Clawson High School. She passed away, leaving her parents and 2 sisters. 

Arielle Anderson was a sophomore from MSU. She graduated from a highschool around the Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe. “She had dreams of being a pediatric doctor” is what the heart broken grandmother told the Detroit Free Press.

As well as Anderson, Brian Fraser was also from Grosse Pointe. Brian Fraser was the chapter president for the Phi Delta Theta at MSU.  Fraser’s death not only has an impact on his family, but all the friends he has made at Phi Delta Theta.  

Out of the five victims that were critically injured, an Immokalee student has been identified as one of the five victims. Her name is Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez, and she was her class of 2020’s class president.

On Tuesday, the University announced that students should avoid campus and will not have class for the next 2 days. Tuesday evening, candles were lit, people were praying, and a vigil was being held for all the victims. Friends and families were there to pray and support each other as a community.