Wildcat Remembrance Day, November 30th.

Honoring Oxford School Shooting Victims

November 30, 2022

Today is Wildcat Remembrance Day, in honor of the four students at Oxford High School located in Oxford, Michigan, who lost their lives in the tragic shooting a year ago today, November 30th, 2021. A team of administrators, social workers and teachers made the decision that Oxford students will have the day off so that students and staff who survived the shooting can cope in whatever ways they may need. 

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has ordered that flags at the state Capitol and all public buildings across Michigan to be lowered to half-staff Wednesday to honor the four victims, Hana St. Juliana, Madisyn Baldwin, Justin Shilling and Tate Myre. District officials also invite students, families and community members to take part in a moment of silence wherever they are at 12:51 p.m., which is when the first 911 calls about the shooting came in.

“It’s been one year since we lost four beautiful young souls in Oxford. One year since a community was changed forever,” Whitmer said. “One year later, we honor the memories of Hana, Tate, Madisyn, and Justin and reaffirm our commitment to holding the Oxford community close.”

Photo via Pixabay under Pixabay License

The All For Oxford Resiliency Center has partnered with the district to distribute luminaries, which are small paper lanterns lit by battery operated candles, before Remembrance Day today to members of the community. Community members will be asked to light the luminaries at 7 p.m. to honor the four fallen students.

The Detroit Free Press is collecting messages of hope from across Michigan to publish as a tribute and to show support for Oxford’s community. Oxford community members are also encouraged to leave messages remembering the victims or leave messages to their community. The responses will be published in late November.

On Monday, construction plans were announced for a garden in honor of Hana St. Juliana and the other victims who were killed in the shooting at Oxford High School last year. Local organizations will contribute their time and resources to aid in the garden’s construction. Steve St. Juliana, Hana’s father, shares that the purpose of Hana’s Garden is to “have a place for the community to remember the four students lost. We don’t want them or what happened to them to be forgotten,” he said.

16-year old Tate Myre was one of the victims. Tate Myre’s family, friends, football teammates, and the Oxford community are continuing his legacy with 42 Strong, a mentorship program in honor of his life. Trent Myre and his dad, mom and brother decided to create this organization to offer an outlet for kids. Their three pillars are Trust, Love, Build, something Trent Myre says Tate was all about. Now his mentorship will live on through 42 Strong.

The 42 Strong mentorship program provides an “unmatched peer-to-peer mentoring program based on the consistency, caring, and humble confidence Tate Myre displayed during his life.” The program’s mission is to create a better future by helping students develop a greater sense of purpose, community and resilience.

One of the four victims was 17-year old Madisyn Baldwin. Madisyn Baldwin’s family requested that the community and public honor her by spreading words and acts of kindness with the hashtag #maddymatters. This way people will be inspired to make a positive difference in the lives of others, all while keeping her kind spirit and soul alive. 

Justin Shilling, one of the victims, was seventeen years old. Jill Soave, Justin Shilling’s mother, shared that he was a scholar student, played every sport – and had just visited Oakland University where he wanted to study business, last fall. But beyond all that – his mom said, it was his heart that made him special. “He went out of his way to make everyone around him feel special, feel loved and to feel included – that’s something we can all do, especially in school,” Jill Soave said.  

Even after his death, Justin Shilling’s heart, as well as his lungs, liver, and kidneys will make a huge difference to whoever received the donated organs. His mother shared that knowing that “Justin spent his final moments protecting another student and saving six lives with his organs, that’s no small feat,” she said. “And I think it’s my honor and duty as a mother to let the world know that Justin is a hero.” 

The victims of the tragic shooting and their stories should never be forgotten and it is important for communities to continue to honor their beautiful lives and legacies. 

To Donate to 42 Strong Click Here

To Donate to the Hana St. Juliana Fund Click Here

To Donate to the family of Madisyn Baldwin Click Here

To Donate to the Justin Shilling Memorial Fund Click Here

View Comments(1)
$495
$1200

About the Writer
Photo of Sophia Lowrie
Sophia Lowrie, Executive Editor

Sophia Lowrie is a senior at Marco Island Academy and the Executive Editor for The Wave. She loves baking and cooking for friends and family and reading...

The Wave • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$495
$1200

• J

Jeanna PernakNov 30, 2022 at 4:10 PM

Beautifully written article. I just wish this story didn’t have to be told. Praying everyday that love and kindness will prevail in this troubled world

Reply
1